? for the local LEO's ( okc area)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey I've been taking a lot of Training classes and Im thinking of taking this to a new level.
Id like to go to an academy and get a LEO cert for one of the local county's ( OK, Canadian, ect) or a local township.
My question is which one and why?
Which one would have better training? and have better opportunities?

I do not plan on doing this full time ( have two much time in my Gov job).
I've just kinda always wanted to do this and Im running out of time...
Im looking at OK county now.
What say ye?

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hi S,
OK county has a reserve academy going on right now. Contact them, as its probably your best shot. As far as Im aware, The only "academy" available for non full timers is CLEET reserve academy.

One thing to think about; the funnest part of the academy (:gun2:) is also one of the quicker instruction blocks they have. Youre looking at around 5 or 6 months of leaving your family twice a weeknight, and many weekends. Youll become a worse shot then you started, because youll be in class instead of at the range shooting. Least I did.

Youll want to gouge your eyes out after a few months of staring at eyeballs to detect sobriety and listening to lawyers talk in monotone.

Call me if you want to rap about it.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another option is the COPS program, where you attain a degree, and upon graduation, you are CLEET Basic certified. Other than these two options, getting hired as a full time officer somewhere is your only option.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So do you think that OK county or Canadian county is my only options?
If not who else should I look at and why?
And what is the COPS program like?
Thanks

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Cops program is college. Part of your course load is CLEET training, splaced out over the duration of your attendance.

You just have to find an agency willing to hire and sponsor you as a reserve. There is no avenue in Oklahoma to attain Peace Officer certification without a sponsoring agency, other then the COPS program.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Under the COPS program you also have to find a job within 2 years or you loose your cert. as I understand it.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So do you think that OK county or Canadian county is my only options?
If not who else should I look at and why?
And what is the COPS program like?
Thanks

If you want to be a cop then go to Canadian County, if you want to stand around and watch parades all day long then stay away from oklahoma County.

Latest posts

Top Bottom