Spare mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeller

Marksman
Reaction score
I am curious as to what some of you do about carrying a spare mag. I believe that it is just as important as a CCW but IMO it is harder to conceal than my 5" 45. There are times that I'd like to tuck in my shirt but I can't seem to find a place for the mag without wearing a jacket. Any one have any suggestions?

GLOCKinator

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious as to what some of you do about carrying a spare mag. I believe that it is just as important as a CCW but IMO it is harder to conceal than my 5" 45. There are times that I'd like to tuck in my shirt but I can't seem to find a place for the mag without wearing a jacket. Any one have any suggestions?

IMO, I don't see the need for a spare mag as long as your CCW has capacity of at least 10 rounds or so. I'm sure those that do carry a spare mag will chime in with a good method, tho.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I typically carry a spare mag in a comp-tac mag pouch. If I have to tuck in my shirt, I'll put the spare mag in my back or front pocket depending on what I'm wearing. Its not the best way to carry a spare mag, but I seldom tuck in my shirts though too.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, I don't see the need for a spare mag as long as your CCW has capacity of at least 10 rounds or so. I'm sure those that do carry a spare mag will chime in with a good method, tho.

For many, carrying an extra mag is not as much about capacity as it is about clearing a malfunction and getting back in the fight.

Unless I'm pocket carrying, I always have a cover garment so concealing the extra mag isn't an issue.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The need to carry a spare mag is not so much about mag capacity as it is keeping the beast fed when Murphy pokes his nose in your primary mags function and reliability. Make and type of gun & mags is irrelevant.

I've had mags fail me at the absolute worst times. I do not intend on using my gun as a club or expensive rock to throw because of a malfunction. Keep Murphy at bay, keep the beast fed, control your aggression when the adrenalin dumps and carry a spare.

Southrange61

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a Glock 26, which has 10 rds in the short mag. If I'm in my car I usually have a couple of spare magazines (12 or 15 rd) in the car but not actually in my pockets.

If I'm out for a walk I'll often put a spare mag in my opposite side pocket. Sometimes not, then I only carry the pistol with 10 rds. It's all a compromise since I can't fit my AR and 3 spare mags in my pocket!

yeller

Marksman
Reaction score
Exactly, my pistol has never malfunctioned in a couple of thousand rounds but..... I don't plan on laying down if it does and Murphy seams to be my best friend and sticks his nose in my business like I'm a bug and he's the windshield.

If I know I'm going to be in a situation that will require me to tuck, I make sure I wear a square cut tailed shirt that day, but I don't always get to plan, it's not often but it does happen, I just happen to be in a situation that requires I look some what professional most of the time.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you carry a spare tire for your car/truck?????? Why on earth wouldn't you carry a spare magazine or two for your pistol!!??

Do you wear a seatbelt even though you have airbags??

Do you carry spare hooks, sinkers, swivels, and such when fishing???

Its not about how many rounds your likely to have on hand, but what can and most likely will happen. Murphy is an A$$H0(#, and loves nothing better than turning the tables when you least expect it.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always carry a spare mag or a spare speed strip/speed loader (if I'm carrying a revolver). If my clothing permits it, I carry both a small S&W M&P 9c and a S&W 49 Bodyguard. Just in case.........

Latest posts

Top Bottom