NRA Basic Pistol First Steps Semi-Automatic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimWTaylor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tim Taylor is teaching the NRA Basic Pistol First Steps Semi-Automatic
Time: 8:00 AM - Noon
I am a certified NRA instructor.
I am setting up my next Basic Pistol First Steps class for August 22nd, 2009.

Do you have a spouse or child that wants to learn how to shoot a firearm?
Have you ever taken them to the firing range and then got into an argument or a fight. Most times I have seen someone lose their patience with the student or teacher and the entire day is ruined.
I have learned that relatives or couples generally should not attempt to teach each other. With this class, you have a 3rd party doing the teaching. There is no one attempting to impress and no pre-derived assumptions about the instructor. I will focus on teaching, the student can focus on learning.

NRA FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation
(Source: http://www.nrahq.org/education/Training/basictraining.asp)

Firearm Instruction, Responsibility, and Safety Training is the NRA’s response to the American public’s need for a firearm orientation program for new purchasers. NRA FIRST Steps Pistol is designed to provide a hands-on introduction to the safe handling and proper orientation to one specific pistol action type for classes of four or fewer students. This course is at least three hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot a specific pistol action type. Students will learn the NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; the particular pistol model parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, and FIRST Steps Course completion certificate.
(Lesson Plan 1995, revised 3/08)

Class size is limited per NRA regulations, so reserve your seat early.
The class costs $70.00. $35.00 deposit required by August 8th in order to ensure your seat and allow sufficient time for shipping of the class material.
You will need hearing protection, eye protection, and a hat and approximately 50 rounds of ammo for whatever gun you will be shooting.
If you do not have a gun, let me know in advance, I can get a variety of rental pistols if given enough notice.

If you are interested in a class for revolver or derringer, let me know and I can schedule one.

Contact Tim Taylor
[email protected]
405-274-3391 between 4:00 PM and 9:30 PM.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Have you ever taken them to the firing range and then got into an argument or a fight. Most times I have seen someone lose their patience with the student or teacher and the entire day is ruined.
I have learned that relatives or couples generally should not attempt to teach each other. With this class, you have a 3rd party doing the teaching. There is no one attempting to impress and no pre-derived assumptions about the instructor. I will focus on teaching, the student can focus on learning.

NRA FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation
(Source: http://www.nrahq.org/education/Training/basictraining.asp)

Firearm Instruction, Responsibility, and Safety Training is the NRA’s response to the American public’s need for a firearm orientation program for new purchasers. NRA FIRST Steps Pistol is designed to provide a hands-on introduction to the safe handling and proper orientation to one specific pistol action type for classes of four or fewer students. This course is at least three hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot a specific pistol action type. Students will learn the NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; the particular pistol model parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, and FIRST Steps Course completion certificate.
(Lesson Plan 1995, revised 3/08)

Class size is limited per NRA regulations, so reserve your seat early.
The class costs $70.00. $35.00 deposit required by August 8th in order to ensure your seat and allow sufficient time for shipping of the class material.
You will need hearing protection, eye protection, and a hat and approximately 50 rounds of ammo for whatever gun you will be shooting.
If you do not have a gun, let me know in advance, I can get a variety of rental pistols if given enough notice.

If you are interested in a class for revolver or derringer, let me know and I can schedule one.

Contact Tim Taylor
[email protected]
405-274-3391 between 4:00 PM and 9:30 PM.

I may be off here, but it seems a bit presumptuous for your first post to be an advertisement when you aren't a paying sponsor or affiliate.

If I am wrong here I'm sorry. Just my personal opinion.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NRA FIRST Steps Pistol is designed to provide a hands-on introduction to the safe handling and proper orientation to one specific pistol action type for classes of four or fewer students........
The class costs $70.00. You will need hearing protection, eye protection, and a hat and approximately 50 rounds of ammo for whatever gun you will be shooting.

I provide a 4-hour First Steps Class in Altus for $40 a head when the student provides their centerfire ammo, or shoots my .22a. For truly beginners, I prefer to provide .22s and ammo as part of the class. That way, I am sure the guns are clean, in good working order, and everybody is using identical models to avoid confusion.

I have had bad experiences with people showing up with borrowed, filthy, or broken firearms and wanting me to "see what it needs."
I am not a gunsmith and I didn't "stay at a Holiday Inn."

TimWTaylor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be off here, but it seems a bit presumptuous for your first post to be an advertisement when you aren't a paying sponsor or affiliate.

If I am wrong here I'm sorry. Just my personal opinion.

I apologize if I used improper posting etiquette, however I was not aware of any requirement to be a paying sponsor or affiliate.
Not only have I never posted on this site before, I had not even been here until recently and apparently do not know all the rules of posting. I simply posted my class here as someone recommended it as a good place to advertise it. I did not know I would be called presumptuous for trying to educate people in firearm safety. I was not trying to presume anything.

TimWTaylor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I provide a 4-hour First Steps Class in Altus for $40 a head when the student provides their centerfire ammo, or shoots my .22a. For truly beginners, I prefer to provide .22s and ammo as part of the class. That way, I am sure the guns are clean, in good working order, and everybody is using identical models to avoid confusion.

I have had bad experiences with people showing up with borrowed, filthy, or broken firearms and wanting me to "see what it needs."
I am not a gunsmith and I didn't "stay at a Holiday Inn."

Rob, Thank you for the heads up, I do appreciate it.
I have an assistant who is a gunsmith and as part of my class, we will be inspecting the gun prior to going to the range. For those who have filthy or broken, I have several well maintained guns available in several sizes. 22, 9mm, 40, 45ACP... I agree that the 22 is probably best for the beginner, but as I am over 6' tall, most 22's are too small to fit comfortably in my hand.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I apologize if I used improper posting etiquette, however I was not aware of any requirement to be a paying sponsor or affiliate.
Not only have I never posted on this site before, I had not even been here until recently and apparently do not know all the rules of posting. I simply posted my class here as someone recommended it as a good place to advertise it. I did not know I would be called presumptuous for trying to educate people in firearm safety. I was not trying to presume anything.

Again, it is only my personal opinion, which is meaningless as I am not a mod. It just seems that it is against the "spirit" of the community to use this forum solely for the advertising of your business without contributing anything else to it. As for the rules I do not know, although I do believe there are rules about advertising on the forum. There are many paying advertisers on this site, and it seems unfair for them to pay for something you are receiving for free. And while I of course do appreciate you taking time to educate people in firearm safety; however, ultimately you are running a business designed to make a profit and using this site to increase that profit.

I hope this doesn't sound like I in any way have any ill-will towards you or what you are doing, as I don't. Just speaking my opinion.

DarkLaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have learned that relatives or couples generally should not attempt to teach each other. With this class, you have a 3rd party doing the teaching. There is no one attempting to impress and no pre-derived assumptions about the instructor. I will focus on teaching, the student can focus on learning. etc etc etc......

Wow.

This sounds almost EXACTLY like my Craigslist ad that I post. A lil cut'n'paste? Hmmm.

Here's part of my ad that I've had up for a long time...
----------------------------------------------

"""Do you have a significant other that wants to learn to shoot a firearm?
Have you ever taken them to the firing range and then got into an argument or a fight? The entire day is ruined and I've learned that 'couples' should rarely go to the shooting range TOGETHER with the intentions to learn/teach. Instead, with a 3rd party involved and doing the teaching, the argument from last week doesn't come up; there are no worries about trying to impress your significant other. Instead, you can focus on the task at hand - and that is learning how to become a faster, more accurate, and most importantly - a more comfortable shooter!
"""

Seems like you took MY ad and changed a few words around.
NOT COOL.

In fact, it's down right lame and close to theft.
Write your own ad!

:talk2hand:

DarkLaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully that guy never comes back and I certainly HOPE that no one takes his class. He charges more than everyone else I've seen AND is a cheating thief!

How hard is it to write YOUR OWN AD for your OWN business?
Says a lot about his character and business ethics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom