Rant Mode: Can we discuss the pathetic retail store scope ring situation in OKC area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is and has been just complete crap, with the exception of when Sportsman's Warehouse was here.

This is one of the main reasons I mourned the closing of SW to this day: they were the ONLY place in town (that I could or can find) where you could buy (a) QUALITY STEEL (b) P-rail / weaver rifle scope rings!

To break it down.....as you know in the last 10 years, the P-rail has come to replace (in large part - not completely) the old "standard" of the "turn-in/dovetail front - clamp rear" ring/base convention (or a "double dovetail/turn-in").

But despite this clear trend with both "tactical" rifles and standard hunting rifles, here's the current situation:

--If you want the old standard turn-in/dovetail (1 or 2), fine, you have a multitude of choices where to buy these (Leupold mainly, but also Millett): Bass Pro, Academy, H&H, Outhouse America. Fantastic...

--If you want a crappy (albeit steel, if you want to call what Millet does 'steel') "Millett Angle-Loc" ring set for P-rail (which I now despise), you also have that same myriad of choices. For some reason, these crappy rings can be found danged near everywhere. Hell, I saw them for sale in Bed Bath and Beyond the other day.

If you want *really* crappy aluminum rings for P-rail, carrying various and sundry brand names (Traditions, Leupold Rifleman, B-Square, blah blah, blah), you can likewise find these pretty much anywhere, including Walmart.

--If you want so-so/decent quality, but really ugly rings (part steel and part aluminum), you can get the standard Weaver brand rings for weaver/P-rail at a couple of places (Bass Pro and I think Outhouse America - assuming you can pry up JP from hiding).

--If you want esoteric, non-standard HIGH-QUALITY rings similar to the P-rail for Sako, Ruger, CZ, etc., which give you that "close but no cigar" sinking feeling after you realize they're not for P-rail, you can also get these danged near anywhere, including Academy & BassPro.

--BUT, if you want STANDARD, P-rail, HIGH QUALITY, STEEL rings, "non-tactical" (i.e. non-$175-plus, weighing a couple pounds, and sky high), you

CAN

NOT

GET

THEM

AT ALL

, anywhere locally now, with the demise of S.W. S.W. had Warne Maxima which I love and prefer over most, AND Leupold (non-Rifleman) high-quality steel rings, AND Burris Zee rings. And they had them in all heights and various configs (QD and non-QD).

You cannot get a high quality P-rail ring now for a hunting rifle anywhere locally, to my knowledge, which I find extremely weird & frustrating, particularly in light of the fact that my T/C Icon gives me no other choice. Not at H&H. Not at Outhouse America. Not at Academy. Not at Walmart. Not at BassPro. I love the old standard Leupold dovetail/clamp setup, but this is not an option on my T/C Icon.

So am I missing something here? Is there anyplace locally that has what I'm looking for? Does anyone else have this problem over and over and over and over again, year in and year out? Of course, I always end up ordering online, but every year I think to myself "surely, someone will pick up the trend this year and modify their stocking selection."

H&H, BassPro, Academy, OAS, is anyone listening!?!?

Rant Mode Off. :D :D

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you can post on a message board, you can just as easily get them over the internet.

If the local shops would make money stocking them, they would.

SW had a nice selection of them, and where are they now?

Reaction score
If you can post on a message board, you can just as easily get them over the internet.

Yep, but there's the wait, and there's the "not helping the local community" thing.

If the local shops would make money stocking them, they would.

I believe that's where you went 100% incorrect. They're losing a small mint just due to ignorance & inertia, and the first one to figure it out is gonna make some money on this. I promise you, those turn-ins aren't selling; they're gathering dust, but people ARE putting scopes on rifles, the vast majority of which (on new rifles) are using a P-rail type base. Many are going with the Angle-Locs, the bane of accurate shooting, and other cheapie brands, where many are like me, ordering off the internet. Still others are using Weavers and though accurate, are uglifying our hunting fields and gun ranges as we speak! You can't put an ugly old Weaver ring set on a drop dead beautiful T/C Icon. If it's not illegal, it should be. They really deserve Conetrol, but short of that, at least good Leupold, Warne, Burris Signature, Talley, etc.

SW had a nice selection of them, and where are they now?

Their demise had nothing to do with that; the good rings sold very well, it appeared. No cause & effect there at all.

Reaction score
Yes, I do, but the vast majority of rings of this general style will work with either.

Aint no margin on gun accessories; the only profitable way to sell is online.

I find that to be 180 degrees inaccurate as I understand things. In fact, the only way to make money is on the accessories. I've had many people in the retail gun business (H&H employees) tell me that you cannot make money on the guns themselves; the margins are razor thin on guns; they are essentially a loss leader to get people in and then make money on the accessories (scopes & other optics, rings & bases, slings, ammo, clothing, shooting accessories, range equipment, reloading gear & components, etc., ad nauseum), and in the case of a place like H&H, the range fees. The margin on something like a scope ring is significantly higher than guns, and they take up a lot less shelf space, making carrying costs much less.

dump the varmit caliber Icon. problem solved! lol

OK, that's one solution, and I suppose solves the short term problem, but there's the long term. Actually I tried to sell this rifle dirt cheap but no one bit, after many bumps, right here in two different threads in the classifieds recently. I'm now very happy it didn't sell, however, as it's really growing on me. Did I mention the caliber of this rifle? Guess you did see my sale ad.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are incorrect in your thinking. 99% of the shooting community buy whatever is the cheapest. If I stocked Badger/TPS or whoever else bases or rings I'd be sitting on them for a long time until someone like you just so happen to need a pair. But hey if someone at H&H told you otherwise what do me and mike know....

Reaction score
99% of the shooting community buy whatever is the cheapest.

Burris Zee don't cost any more than Millett angle-locs, and are far far better.

But hey if someone [my edit: multiple parties] at H&H told you otherwise what do me and mike know....

Excellent point, since your business is online, and there's is physical local store. :D

Besides, those are two completely unrelated subjects. The issue olyeller brought up is can you/do you make money on gun accessories in a local physical establishment retail? Regardless of which type is stocked, the answer is yes, you do; that's precisely how you make money. As to what to carry, I suppose it's a function of what's the most profitable; maybe the markup on Millett's is higher than Burris Zee, even if they sell for about the same - that'd be my guess. But then you gotta look at whether they're selling. I guess I can see why it's happening if the margin on Milletts are higher. 99% of people buy the cheapest (as you say), *among those that are in stock* - so just stock the Milletts & make more money, until people find out that you lose your zero every time you tighten a screw, and then people go buy a substitute online (but you've already sold the Millett). Still, if you offered the substitute ALSO, then you could ding the customer twice, if your only goal is money, not satisfaction for the customer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom