what's the best tritium sights for Gold Cup 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what's the best tritium sights for Gold Cup Nation Match 1911 Series 80?
currently equipped with Elliason adjustable target sights.

would like to upgrade to some type of tritium sights like Wilson or Trijicon. installation is not a problem.

need feedback from the more experienced 1911 users.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eww night sights on a 1911. :( I say you're far better with the Elliason's.

I have night sights on all my 1911s.... am I missing something?

To the OP, I don't know of any replacements for that cut. You might want to try brownells. That kind of sight cut/setup limits your options.

Personally, I'm going to refrain from having Trits in the rears as I've come to realize it doesn't help me aquire the sight picture any faster. YMMV.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have night sights on all my 1911s.... am I missing something?

To the OP, I don't know of any replacements for that cut. You might want to try brownells. That kind of sight cut/setup limits your options.

Personally, I'm going to refrain from having Trits in the rears as I've come to realize it doesn't help me aquire the sight picture any faster. YMMV.

Well no.. not technically or anything. Just personal preference. Night sights on a 1911 feel funky to me. On other pistols they feel normal. Maybe its just me

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The blade on the Elliason isnt thick enough for tritium vials, so I doubt that theres any night sight available for that slide cut. Ill ask around.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wilson Combat offers a blade with tritium (428TPB), will this work with Elliason sights? also was considering drilling my old blade and inserting a couple of tritium tubes. but not sure how effective tritium tubes will be without luminous dot.

[Broken External Image]
Sight, Combat Pyramid Rear Blade, Tritium Night-Sight. Pkg. Includes: Rear Blade Only.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_sights_adj_rear_blades.asp

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through this several years ago on my Delta Elite Gold Cup.

At the time, I believe it was Elliason that offered a single configutration (Bar-Dot-Bar and fully adjustable). I had never used this style before, but they have been totally dependable and easy too use.

A gunsmith in Tulsa (don't remember which one) found them and installed them for me and a buddy. I think the cost was around $140,

FWIW,

Don

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just ordered a post style 1911 fibre optic sight for 1988- with larger tenon (.125) my 1911 was mfg 1990. pre 1988 requires a smaller .095-.098 post.

Hi Viz was one of the few that offered a colt front optic sight with staked tenon.
they are closing out the colt style with tenon, so if anyone wants one...

most folks should take their colt to qualified gunsmith to do this front sight changeout. as removal and installation will require a bit of hammering and filing.

decided on using optic rod front sight vs tritium, because having a brighter sight during daylight is more important than visibility at night. Crimson Trace will be added later for night duties. which may not happen with 337PD w/CT doing CCW duties.

also was advised I'm better off with stock elliason blade, so that's I'm going to try with optic front sight first.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
five years and many rounds later ... soooo glad I went with staked Hi-Viz Fiber Optic sights for my 1911 Gold Cup instead of Tritium sights.
this goes double for Glock 17 which I ended up taking off existing Tritium sights and replacing with Hi-Viz Optic Fiber sights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom