Colt 1911 Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking for some guidance on the value of a gun. I have a Colt 1911 that I know next to nothing about other than it was purchased by a family member about 30 years ago. I don't see any markings on the slide that would indicate the model or if it was military issue. It just has the patent dates, the Colt logo, and Colt's PT.FA.MFG.CO. There are some wear marks/scratches on the slide. I would consider them minor but I'm not familiar with 1911 grading standards. I'm trying to figure out the value of the gun. Is there any other information you guys might need to know that would be of importance? I can post some pictures if that would help. Thanks

TRT

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pic would help a lot. Is it a 4-1/4" or 5" Colt. On the right side of the gun it may say 70, or 80 on it, but not always. that will be a good point to see when i was made. Also the hammer and trigger will have a lot to do with the price. Are you looking to sale?

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did try searching GB but, since I don't know the model, the prices vary quite a bit.

The only markings on the right side are on the frame. 6C402 underneath the slide and 6 on the trigger guard. There's also a P stamped on the top of the slide in front of the rear sight. I don't know how to take close-up pics with my camera so these are a little fuzzy. I will probably be looking to sell if I find it's valuable enough.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's worth double that at least..... unless it's got severe pitting or metal missing.

Some brighter pics would help. :D

Thanks for all the help and info so far.

Here are 3 more pics I took with a higher resolution. Still didn't come out much brighter but it's sitting underneath 3 75 watt bulbs.... Maybe I'll take it out in the sunlight tomorrow.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without seeing and holding it....................it looks like a Post WWI through WWII. Again....not 100% sure.

Here is a site that might help and give you the Colt factory phone number or address. It will cost for them to trace it down. Too many questions for me to ask you on this particular pistol, so I'll just post this site.

Hope it helps..............> http://www.coltautos.com/default.asp

Forgot.....How about taking it to Claremore to the Davis gun museum??

Cohiba

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without seeing and holding it....................it looks like a Post WWI through WWII. Again....not 100% sure.

Here is a site that might help and give you the Colt factory phone number or address. It will cost for them to trace it down. Too many questions for me to ask you on this particular pistol, so I'll just post this site.

Hope it helps..............> http://www.coltautos.com/default.asp

Forgot.....How about taking it to Claremore to the Davis gun museum??

Cohiba

I would say your darn close:

CALL COLT they will give you a manf. date for free, That appears to be a post WW I or possibly late WWII era model. It is a 1911a1, The scalaps on the rear of the trigger and arched mainspring are the givaway. It may be a commerical model sold just after WWI. As it has a narrow Hammer which appeared soon after WWI and went away again until late in WWII. It may be worth a LOT. Without seeing it in person it is hard to say if the finish is original. If not it will effect the price. The "P" marking could be a DOD Proof mark. The others are assembler, inspection marks. Although it is not marked US property doesn't maen that it was not milatary issue. The Grip panels are consistant with a Military issue if they are original. It is could be a WWII pistol made for the military, However most of them only had a contract number and Company name except for Colt's that had that rollmark.

You can goto the http://forum.m1911.org/index.php? and do a search for dating the 1911. There is a reference on there to a separate web site that has pics and dates of when specific parts were used etc.

I realize this only helps a little. Here is a 1918 US Property marked Colt. NOTE, No scalap behind trigger, and straight mainspring housing:
ai41.tinypic.com_95tnw6.jpg

This is how most WWII, contract 1911's look. This one dated 1943-1945:
ai39.tinypic.com_316ujon.jpg

Here is a Pic of a 1945 built Colt, That came back to US from England post lend/lease program. This one is US Property marked. They are often marked on the dust cover, and near the serial number:
ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i84_larycap_100_0365.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom