Removing an ambi safety on a 1911 question. Need help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boss has a Taurus PT1911, I removed the right side safety on it for him no problem. But here is my question, is it functionable without the right side safety in the pistol? And second can you fill the hole left with an aftermarket part. I really need a quick responce on this one so all you 1911 gu rues help please, thanks Keith

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My boss has a Taurus PT1911, I removed the right side safety on it for him no problem. But here is my question, is it functionable without the right side safety in the pistol? And second can you fill the hole left with an aftermarket part. I really need a quick responce on this one so all you 1911 gu rues help please, thanks Keith

The proper single side safety goes through to the other side. If it is only in one hole it is not supported!

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes, you can get an aftermarket safety from Brownells. It would likely need to be checked for proper fit.

I would not trust it without the other side as it was just said. The safeties are made to be supported on both sides of the frame.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you want a single sided safety you need to buy one and have it fitted.

To get the other half out cock the hammer, the safety will come out when you hit a sweet spot between on and off. Just slowly lift the lever and wiggle the safety, should come out pretty easily.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah but im under the impression that with just one side in it should be functionable, yes or no? He wants to put another set of grips on and they will not fit unless the right side saftey comes off. So he needs to put a differant saftey in it, is that correct?

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah but im under the impression that with just one side in it should be functionable, yes or no?NO He wants to put another set of grips on and they will not fit unless the right side saftey comes off. So he needs to put a differant saftey in it, is that correct?

No; the new grips can be inletted to allow the ambi safety to work.

Do not just use half of an ambi safety; it can be unsafe.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With just the one side of the safety it may seem like it will work, but you have eliminated the part of the pin that holds the grip safety securely. Additionally the internal mechanism that immobilizes the sear will probably not be in the correct relationship with other parts because half the safety's pin (arm whatever it's called) has been removed.

Listen to olyeller.

Be safe

ebman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just use a dremel tool to remove just enough of the grip so that the safety still works. if done carefuly you wont even know those grips were originally for a single safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom