Bass Pro. Inc. Clarifies Policy – Open Carry Welcome!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I searched and hopefully this isn't a repost.

I came across this looking up Kansas reciprocity and thought it was interesting and worthy of a new post. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/28171.html(See post below in italics)

Not as if I have need to open carry in BP but this got me thinking, if a business such as BP is okay with open carry could anyone carry openly there? As in, I'm okay with anyone carrying open in my home or out in my shop but what if I had a business is there something different with the laws do to a piece of property being a business?

I know at everyone's favorite place "Dongs" the employees open carry and have no problem with someone pulling out a gun to try out a holster.

Thoughts?

Post on OpenCarry.org:
Bass Pro. Inc. Clarifies Policy – Open Carry Welcome!

OpenCarry.org (OCDO) is pleased to announce that Bass Pro Inc. advised OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by telephone today that open carry of holstered handguns is as welcome as concealed carry provided all federal and state laws are followed.

After being contacted by OpenCarry.org (and apparently some of our almost 20,000 some thousand members) about sporadic inconsistent treatment of open carriers at some Bass Pro shops, Bass Pro’s Manager of Communications Larry L. Whiteley asked OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk for more background information and some time to straighten things out.

Stollenwerk advised Whitely two weeks ago that open carry is legal in most states, usually without a permit, and that Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas have adopted clear corporate policies welcoming open carriers in their stores just as they do concealed carriers. Further Stollenwerk noted, it’s better to adopt one clear corporate policy than allow individual employees make up store rules or give legal advice to customers, i.e., the proverbial but well meaning, “psst, hey, you gotta cover that up, it’s the law” kind of thing, which can get gun owners in trouble for breaking the law and unlawfully concealing (e.g., in Wisconsin where no permit to conceal is even issued).

Well today Mr. Whiteley called and confirmed that Bass Pro’s policy is and “always was” to be to respect lawful customer gun carry, concealed or open, and that steps the following steps are being taken to ensure this policy is understood by all managers and employees, including production and distribution of training videos as well re-drafting of signage pertaining to guns.

OpenCarry.org is pleased that Bass Pro. joins both Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas in clarifying to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome in their stores as a matter of corporate policy.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer but it was my understanding that on any private property the owner can allow anyone to carry he/she wishes. I believe there is something about this in the SDA, but I do not have the energy to look it up at the moment.

Of course someone correct me if I'm wrong or over-generalizing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom