Good youth deer rifle for 1st hunt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner_Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am taking my boys 12 and 10 deer hunting for the first time this fall. I am not sure what would be a good caliber rifle to get for them that they can handle and enjoy for a lifetime.

I have a couple of .270's they will eventually use but I feel this is to much for them at this age.

I have several 223's that they can and have handled without problems at the range. I'm not sure I want them hunting deer with this caliber.

I'm not real familiar with everything out there now days so I am looking for some advice. My main desire would be to have something that is proven and will be around for a while and also something that they can handle without being scared of the recoil.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto on the single shot .243. Teach them the value of one well placed shot. I like the H&R handi rifles.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you reload you can load most rifle cartriges down to youth loads. 30-30 single shot was my sons 1st at 9 loaded a 125 gr boolit at about 2200 ***** cat to shoot, now 12 has a 7-08 model 7 youth & shoot full house loads.
Remington has reduced loads for the 270 115gr not much recoil at all

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which ever they can shoot accuratly. 243 is a great round for beginers, but check out the trigger on any rifle that you get. I've seen many of the single shots that have such a bad trigger the kids can't shoot them accuratly.

They have to be comfortable with it inorder to be accurate otherwise they will yank the shots so bad they won't make a good shot.

If they are deadly accurate with the 223 and the shots will be close (100 yards or less) It should do the job. My son took his first hog at 12 yrs old with TC 223 single shot. Put it right in the ear at 40yrds like I told him to.

Give them plenty of time to practice and be comfortable with the rifle you get. The trigger squeeze seems to be the hardest part to teach IMO.

Have fun and be safe. Great job on getting the kids involved. THANKS!!!

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Rossi Matched Pair for my son, Granted he is 6 and it is a Youth sized rifle/shotgun combo for him. They make a Matched Trio, also Youth sized It comes in 22lr/20, or 12ga shoty/.243,or 270,or 30-06. I think the price on the matched trio is still under $300. The set up breech load single shot. You just change the barrel to which ever size you need for the purpose of the day.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133603556

Looks like they have added .223 and 410 ga since I bought mine.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
.243 is my vote. And it's more fun to shoot at the range than the .270, thus more likely to keep them seriously interested in guns. My first was a .270 when I was 18, hated it enough I didn't get another centerfire rifle for 5 years. Have the .243 now and love it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom