Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms

Thread: AMT .380 backup

Newcomer

Default AMT .380 backup

I know it is a piece of junk, but my mom has one and It jams all of the time. I have totally taken it down cleaned and reassembled with no luck at fixing the problem. Any suggestions (other than getting rid of it)?

Default Re: AMT .380 backup

Quote Originally Posted by badareg View Post
    I know it is a piece of junk, but my mom has one and It jams all of the time. I have totally taken it down cleaned and reassembled with no luck at fixing the problem. Any suggestions (other than getting rid of it)?
    I have one that I don't shoot much, but it has always worked fine. Is the problem on the feeding side or ejection? Have you tried more than one magazine? If you have I would see if you can find a recoil spring for it. I have a .22 in the same model and it has always had feeding issues. Not much info, but hope it helps.
    Caseman's Feedback

"...with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right." Abraham Lincoln

i've had one for almost 30 years, it was bought at TG&Y in mwc in '80, the only problem i've had was the firing pin broke once

they can be finicky with hollow points and reloads

Newcomer

The problem is feeding. Almost every other round either jams on the slide ramp or the bolt fails to catch the round. I have only tried one magazine in ir. I might get a new mag a recoil spring and see what happens. Any suggestions on where to find a recoil spring? None on gunbroker at this time. Thanks

Midway has the recoil spring. Here's the link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=517343
    Caseman's Feedback

"...with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right." Abraham Lincoln

I had one I bought at Walmart long ago for like 150.00...never once jam

OMC/AMT was a pioneer in stainless guns
    What they finally learned was you had to use 2 slightly different stainless's
    1 for the slide -1 for the frame
    they really didn't perfect this until about the time they came out with the lightning ruger copies.
    since the back-up and automags are prone to galling, it is recommended
    that you "GREASE" not oil the slide and frame rails with a good gun grease like Rig brand.

Quote Originally Posted by badareg View Post
    The problem is feeding. Almost every other round either jams on the slide ramp or the bolt fails to catch the round. I have only tried one magazine in ir. I might get a new mag a recoil spring and see what happens. Any suggestions on where to find a recoil spring? None on gunbroker at this time. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
    Midway has the recoil spring. Here's the link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=517343
    I'm sure Brownell's probably has them as well....but I'd definitely start with the mag and/or spring.
    After that you might check the feedramp to see if it's smooth, etc.

I'd suggest also trying different ammunition, but unfortunately finding .380 is like mining for Gold in a parking garage.

youtube may have a few videos

get some good ammo, polish your feed ramp. shoot the heck out of it. never had one, dang things are heavy, but had a friend with the .45 model, and besides watching out for slide bite, it shot good for what it was.

Patron

Quote Originally Posted by mr ed View Post
    OMC/AMT was a pioneer in stainless guns
    What they finally learned was you had to use 2 slightly different stainless's
    1 for the slide -1 for the frame
    they really didn't perfect this until about the time they came out with the lightning ruger copies.
    since the back-up and automags are prone to galling, it is recommended
    that you "GREASE" not oil the slide and frame rails with a good gun grease like Rig brand.
    Repeat that. If you detail strip it, you can use a Dremel with 600-800 grit polishing compound and the felt bob to put a good finish on the ramp and in the throat of the chamber. If you see galling or burrs on the rials, a square needle file is the perfect size to dust them off. Put a bit of lapping compound on the rails and in the tracks, and manually rack it a dozen or so times. Thoroughly wash and degrease (soap, water and a toothbrush are fine, it is stainless, afterall) and dry. Apply Rig SS lube, and reassemble.

I had one and had no problems with it. I polished the feed ramp first thing. I'd do that, make sure it's greased good and shoot it. If it still messes up it might be weak springs. I think I read about weak springs somewheres but can't remember where.
    Okiemountaineer

Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    we have been numbed to accepting the drivel from the government as truth

We are a bunch of pu$$y's. Yep I said it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    Where is this country's morals headed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocktogo View Post
    As for the damage done to the credibility of the U.S. government, he didn't cause that. The people who crapped on the Constitution and committed these foul acts did.
    JCW355 feedback

I too have a .380 Backup, and since I polished the feed ramp and also polished everything else that I thought I should, it works perfectly. I think that the trick to these guns are to polish the feed ramp and some of the metal that fits in the slide. Doing this also made it easier to rack the slide.
    When Ronald Reagan was President of the United States we had Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.
    Now Barack Obama is President and we have no Hope or Cash!

feedback http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?47598-Mr.t.

Not an AMT, but my wife's grandfather had a old .25 acp that was having issues, I stripped it, cleaned it and oiled it and put it back together and it seemed to work better.

I'd agree that a grease would be better than an oil, and should stay on the gun longer.

If that doesn't help, like others have said, look for any visible imperfections on the ramp, and if you don't see anything there, try new a new mag or mag spring.

So, basically +1 to what has been said.