AMT .380 backup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badareg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it is a piece of junk, but my mom has one and It jams all of the time. I have totally taken it down cleaned and reassembled with no luck at fixing the problem. Any suggestions (other than getting rid of it)?

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it is a piece of junk, but my mom has one and It jams all of the time. I have totally taken it down cleaned and reassembled with no luck at fixing the problem. Any suggestions (other than getting rid of it)?

I have one that I don't shoot much, but it has always worked fine. Is the problem on the feeding side or ejection? Have you tried more than one magazine? If you have I would see if you can find a recoil spring for it. I have a .22 in the same model and it has always had feeding issues. Not much info, but hope it helps.

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've had one for almost 30 years, it was bought at TG&Y in mwc in '80, the only problem i've had was the firing pin broke once

they can be finicky with hollow points and reloads

badareg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is feeding. Almost every other round either jams on the slide ramp or the bolt fails to catch the round. I have only tried one magazine in ir. I might get a new mag a recoil spring and see what happens. Any suggestions on where to find a recoil spring? None on gunbroker at this time. Thanks

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OMC/AMT was a pioneer in stainless guns
What they finally learned was you had to use 2 slightly different stainless's
1 for the slide -1 for the frame
they really didn't perfect this until about the time they came out with the lightning ruger copies.
since the back-up and automags are prone to galling, it is recommended
that you "GREASE" not oil the slide and frame rails with a good gun grease like Rig brand.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is feeding. Almost every other round either jams on the slide ramp or the bolt fails to catch the round. I have only tried one magazine in ir. I might get a new mag a recoil spring and see what happens. Any suggestions on where to find a recoil spring? None on gunbroker at this time. Thanks

I'm sure Brownell's probably has them as well....but I'd definitely start with the mag and/or spring.
After that you might check the feedramp to see if it's smooth, etc.

I'd suggest also trying different ammunition, but unfortunately finding .380 is like mining for Gold in a parking garage. :disappoin

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get some good ammo, polish your feed ramp. shoot the heck out of it. never had one, dang things are heavy, but had a friend with the .45 model, and besides watching out for slide bite, it shot good for what it was.

Latest posts

Top Bottom