AMT .380 backup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OMC/AMT was a pioneer in stainless guns
What they finally learned was you had to use 2 slightly different stainless's
1 for the slide -1 for the frame
they really didn't perfect this until about the time they came out with the lightning ruger copies.
since the back-up and automags are prone to galling, it is recommended
that you "GREASE" not oil the slide and frame rails with a good gun grease like Rig brand.

Repeat that.:D If you detail strip it, you can use a Dremel with 600-800 grit polishing compound and the felt bob to put a good finish on the ramp and in the throat of the chamber. If you see galling or burrs on the rials, a square needle file is the perfect size to dust them off. Put a bit of lapping compound on the rails and in the tracks, and manually rack it a dozen or so times. Thoroughly wash and degrease (soap, water and a toothbrush are fine, it is stainless, afterall) and dry. Apply Rig SS lube, and reassemble.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one and had no problems with it. I polished the feed ramp first thing. I'd do that, make sure it's greased good and shoot it. If it still messes up it might be weak springs. I think I read about weak springs somewheres but can't remember where.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have a .380 Backup, and since I polished the feed ramp and also polished everything else that I thought I should, it works perfectly. I think that the trick to these guns are to polish the feed ramp and some of the metal that fits in the slide. Doing this also made it easier to rack the slide.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Not an AMT, but my wife's grandfather had a old .25 acp that was having issues, I stripped it, cleaned it and oiled it and put it back together and it seemed to work better.

I'd agree that a grease would be better than an oil, and should stay on the gun longer.

If that doesn't help, like others have said, look for any visible imperfections on the ramp, and if you don't see anything there, try new a new mag or mag spring.

So, basically +1 to what has been said.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I inherited an AMT .380 kurz.
Jams every time. Very accurate at 30 / 40 feet. This is good but it is one shot a then Jam. This Jam looks like a Live bullet going in and jam against the back of the ejecting empty cartridge, which is still in the barrel.
I know Nothing so I have been reading comments from all. Thanks very helpful.

One comment was the magazine is a very poorly fit. My gun has a 1/32 inch play between bottom of handle and magazine when clipped.
This is “wiggle” room, between magazine and the keeper spring latch. In short, the Magazine is not fully inserted and not elevating bullet high enough into the gun body. The gun seems so tight in all other aspects of fit.

Possible fix that that needs expert review?? No bullets in magazine and open chamber and look inside at empty magazine. The magazine is titled forward. Not aligned to push the bullet forward into the barrel for a new load.
Now I jammed a plastic toothpick between the clip spring keeper and the bottom of the magazine. This eliminates the 1/32 inch space making all tight. The plastic bullet feed in the magazine appears to be more inline with the barrel.
I hesitate to try this simple temporary fix. Remember I know nothing!
Any advice would be appreciated.
LOL holy mother of dedthred resurrections! Hi steve, you know you're responding from Florida to a thread that's 13 years and 8 months since the last post? lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom