Big Problem with RIA Tactical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Well, today I just pulled the trigger on a new Rock Island 2-tone tactical.

[Broken External Image]

Beautiful pistol. It's the first RIA tactical model that I've seen without the FLGR. It is also my first 1911.

Anyway, once I got home, I disassembled it to wipe out all of the packing grease and get it ready for a little one on one range time. Got it oiled up and back together. Afterwards I pulled the slide back to make sure everything was working. However, when I sent the slide forward.....the hammer fell!. I thought maybe I had hit the trigger somehow, so I tried it again: same result, the hammer fell.

I repeated this sever times. Sometimes the hammer would stop at 1/2 cock, but most of the time it would go all the way and hit the firing pin. I even tried it without touching the grip safety, but the result was always the same. I cocked the hammer and tried pushing on the back of the hammer, but it feels very secure.

I am no pistol smith, but I am going to assume that something is up with the sear. I do realize that this is a very dangerous situation. I can't imagine that a full auto 1911 would be fun, nor would a hole in the floor when loading. I did find one or two people who have experienced this with the RIA's.

I will say that I am not angry or remorseful on my purchase. I did my homework and know that most RIA owners are very happy with the guns. One of the factors in my decision was the high compliments regarding RIA's customer service, which I am about to deal with shortly.

I have decided to post periodic updates on my pistol and my upcoming experiences with Rock Island's customer service and warrenty repairs. I have a feeling that this situation will work out well. We'll see.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Septic, There are two things you can do.
The first, if you feel comfortable, is the remove the mainspring housing, grip safety and make an adjustment on the sear spring. The Left leg of the spring needs to be pushed forward some, as the sear is not engaging the hammer properly. I'll state the obvious DO NOT SHOOT THIS WEAPON it will likely be full auto.

The second is to contact Advanced Tactical 1-775-537-1444 ask for Ivan or Arnel, They do the warrenty work. Arnel is a 1911 GOD. Your wepon will be better than new when it returns to you. Average turn around is about 10 days.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dropping the slide on an empty chamber is a test I do a couple times right after trigger work, and maybe once every 3-4000 rounds, but if you do it a lot, it can be the cause of the very problem you are seeing.
You said several times. The sear spring tension should fix it, if the sear nose is not too beat up from your slide drops.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dropping the slide on an empty chamber is a test I do a couple times right after trigger work, and maybe once every 3-4000 rounds, but if you do it a lot, it can be the cause of the very problem you are seeing.

This.

If you think you're somewhat mechanically inclined, tear into the frame and learn what's up.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This.

If you think you're somewhat mechanically inclined, tear into the frame and learn what's up.

I never dropped the slide until I did a function test, in which the hammer fell.

With regards to the complete teardown, is there anything that a newbie could screw up with the reassembly? I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined, as I have built and rebuilt several nitro powered RC helicoptors, but they won't destroy things if improperly reassembled (oh wait, yes they do! :cry11:

In all honesty, I think that I would be able to remove the various parts from the frame. The only problem would be that I would not know what to look for, since I am new to the 1911 platform. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for?

No matter what, I've heard that Arnel at Advanced Tactical is the man to speak to about the RIA's. No matter what I will be contacting him on Monday.

If I decide to take a look at the frame parts, I will post some pics and see what you guys have to say.

Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom