Can a convicted former felon own/possess a muzzleloader?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can a felon own a muzzleloader?

• Yes, it's settled law in Oklahoma; they can, including smokeless MLs requiring NICS

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Yes, settled law, but not ones requiring NICS (smokeless)

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Unclear/ gray area / needs to be clarified by the AG or legislature

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • No they cannot

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • I have no idea.

Votes: 34 36.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if hes a "former" felon does that mean he has been pardoned??? Once convicted of a felony, you lose some rights forever unless its overturned or pardoned. If you cant obey the rules you cant share the winnings...

Oklahomie84

New to the site!
Reaction score
I know it's many years late but I am just now seeing this and the answer is yes as a convicted felon in the state of Oklahoma you can possess a muzzleloader. The Oklahoma firearms act of 1971 quite clearly States that an antique firearm shall not be construed as a firearm for the definition purposes... In accordance with federal law. I myself am a convicted felon and whoever said a convicted felon cannot possess a pellet good you are sadly wrong and naive. I have pellet guns made by Glock, Winchester, Ruger and Sig Sauer, from .177-22 cal. I also own a couple Umarex t4e .43cal pistols, S&W, Walther, Glock. Be educated not just opinionated(Bottom of screenshot).

* Since conviction I went and got a degree minoring in criminology majoring in criminal Justice and I am currently working on my JD

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210210-013108_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210210-013108_Chrome.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 95

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it's many years late but I am just now seeing this and the answer is yes as a convicted felon in the state of Oklahoma you can possess a muzzleloader. The Oklahoma firearms act of 1971 quite clearly States that an antique firearm shall not be construed as a firearm for the definition purposes... In accordance with federal law. I myself am a convicted felon and whoever said a convicted felon cannot possess a pellet good you are sadly wrong and naive. I have pellet guns made by Glock, Winchester, Ruger and Sig Sauer, from .177-22 cal. I also own a couple Umarex t4e .43cal pistols, S&W, Walther, Glock. Be educated not just opinionated(Bottom of screenshot).

* Since conviction I went and got a degree minoring in criminology majoring in criminal Justice and I am currently working on my JD
Welcome to OSA! Thank you for the great info!

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems you have you life back on track, perhaps down the road laws may change or you might have your conviction reviewed.

I am one of the few people that believe if you are Not in prison, or mentally incapable you should be allowed your RIGHT to own a gun. No matter of your felony offense. If the crime punishment allows you to return to the public, you should have ALL your rights also. No second class citizens.

dyersfire

New to the site!
Reaction score
Statutes - open to interpretation.
21 Okla.Stat. ss 1283(A)

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, it shall be unlawful for any person convicted of any felony in any court of this state or of another state or of the United States to have in his or her possession or under his or her immediate control, or in any vehicle which the person is operating, or in which the person is riding as a passenger, or at the residence where the convicted person resides, any pistol, imitation or homemade pistol, altered air or toy pistol, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun or rifle, or any other dangerous or deadly firearm.

My interpretation - no sawed off shotgun or rifle - M.L. does fit the def of Rifle as said above. so no sawed off M.L.

Now when you get to "any other dangerous or deadly firearm" - you are on shakey ground. no real definition for firearm in oklahoma law that I can find. only definitions of pistol, rifle and shotgun.

Dislcaimer - none of this information should constitute legal advice - do not rely on this information. An AG's opinion would help, but they are advisory only.

Your friend should seek a pardon or expungment.
So the wording was changed in 2005 and removed the “sawed off “and
“Easily concealable” as in a sawed off shotggun

OCCA has differing opinions as does 21-1283 and self defense act of 1971.

The wording for illegal alien with fire arm stated sawed-off shotgun or rifle, shotgun, rifle.

And up until 2005 yes we could have them as long as they were not able to have modern firearm barrel also or easily converted to breech loading cartridges.
I got out of prison in 2004 and have had ml in woods for years
Current law is any thing with a trigger you can be charged with.
And they words they removed made that way

Fed law is our rights shall not be infringed upon legislated may enact laws restricting the carrying of duch.
Felons are not second class non citizens and we are still required to be ready for standing as militia and for self defense if our person and property.

Come in my house at night we will find out!

The government did not give me that right and they can NOT ATAKE IT AWAY
NON VIOLENT FELON

INALIENABLE!!

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"If your state is silent on the issue, at the federal level blackpowder, antique firearms and their replicas are generally possessable by felons, provided you stay clear of any kits or tools that could convert them into centerfire."

There are some BP pistols that can be converted to use regular ammo that aren't allowed.
Nice zombie revival BTW.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the wording was changed in 2005 and removed the “sawed off “and
“Easily concealable” as in a sawed off shotggun

OCCA has differing opinions as does 21-1283 and self defense act of 1971.

The wording for illegal alien with fire arm stated sawed-off shotgun or rifle, shotgun, rifle.

And up until 2005 yes we could have them as long as they were not able to have modern firearm barrel also or easily converted to breech loading cartridges.
I got out of prison in 2004 and have had ml in woods for years
Current law is any thing with a trigger you can be charged with.
And they words they removed made that way

Fed law is our rights shall not be infringed upon legislated may enact laws restricting the carrying of duch.
Felons are not second class non citizens and we are still required to be ready for standing as militia and for self defense if our person and property.

Come in my house at night we will find out!

The government did not give me that right and they can NOT ATAKE IT AWAY
NON VIOLENT FELON

INALIENABLE!!
I think you were looking for the Proud Boys forum down the road. You'll fit right in

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck of a zombie revival indeed! New members always do this type of old thread revival with odd energy to it lol

Life’s a beotch and sometimes you actually suffer consequences… sorry

If a felon wants to hunt deer then just take up bow hunting perhaps? Small game, maybe consider trapping? Obviously there is fishing too. Plenty of ways to get out there as an outdoorsman without a gun.

I understand the sentiment though. Being in construction there’s a few felons at the workplace lol. One guy is totally nonviolent, was drug related charges from a long time ago. He has expressed that he wishes he could own a home defense firearm to protect his family. But he understands the rules and plays by them regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom