Can a convicted former felon own/possess a muzzleloader?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can a felon own a muzzleloader?

• Yes, it's settled law in Oklahoma; they can, including smokeless MLs requiring NICS

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Yes, settled law, but not ones requiring NICS (smokeless)

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Unclear/ gray area / needs to be clarified by the AG or legislature

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • No they cannot

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • I have no idea.

Votes: 34 36.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A convicted felon, loses some of their rights for good reason, they are not allowed the right to bear arms, as do law abiding citizens, we wany guns away from bad guys dont we!

do you realize not all felons or people with any form of a criminal background are bad guys? You do realize that technically a felon can join the military and be issued an m16?

Paulinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
By federal law a muzzleloader is not a "firearm" unless it has a modern ignition, example would be shotgun primer. I worked at Bill's Sporting Goods for several years and we sold muzzleloaders to anyone over 18. One exception was the thompson because it had a modern reciever that was a rifle or shotgun depending on what barrrel you put on it. Has the law changed in the last 10 yrs? I don't know

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By federal law a muzzleloader is not a "firearm" unless it has a modern ignition, example would be shotgun primer. I worked at Bill's Sporting Goods for several years and we sold muzzleloaders to anyone over 18. One exception was the thompson because it had a modern reciever that was a rifle or shotgun depending on what barrrel you put on it. Has the law changed in the last 10 yrs? I don't know

WRONG on the ignition part, you can mail order muzzle loaders and have them shipped to your door with a 209 primer ignition system, no FFL not a firearm...

Correct on the Encore, it is the receiver which is a firearm since you can change from shotgun to rifle to black powder to rifle etc.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as far as felons in military you can join for instance the infantry, you can be a cook, or a number of other things. Depending upon offense, how long ago, etc.

It can mess with and prevent security clearances, but especially in these times they have no issues letting tons of people in, helps the numbers they are after.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New Oklahoma Statue said:
A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, it shall be unlawful for any person convicted of any felony in any court of this state or of another state or of the United States to have in his or her possession or under his or her immediate control, or in any vehicle which the person is operating, or in which the person is riding as a passenger, or at the residence where the convicted person resides, any pistol, imitation or homemade pistol, altered air or toy pistol, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun or rifle, or any other dangerous or deadly firearm.

B. Any person who has previously been convicted of a nonviolent felony in any court of this state or of another state or of the United States, and who has received a full and complete pardon from the proper authority and has not been convicted of any other felony offense which has not been pardoned, shall have restored the right to possess any firearm or other weapon prohibited by subsection A of this section, the right to apply for and carry a concealed handgun pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and the right to perform the duties of a peace officer, gunsmith, or for firearms repair.

C. It shall be unlawful for any person supervised by the Department of Corrections or any division thereof to have in his or her possession or under his or her immediate control, or at his or her residence, or in any passenger vehicle which the supervised person is operating or is riding as a passenger, any pistol, shotgun or rifle, including any imitation or homemade pistol, altered air or toy pistol, shotgun or rifle, while such person is subject to supervision, probation, parole or inmate status.

D. It shall be unlawful for any person previously adjudicated as a delinquent child or a youthful offender for the commission of an offense, which would have constituted a felony offense if committed by an adult, to have in the person's possession or under the person's immediate control, or have in any vehicle which he or she is driving or in which the person is riding as a passenger, or at the person's residence, any pistol, imitation or homemade pistol, altered air or toy pistol, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun or rifle, or any other dangerous or deadly firearm within ten (10) years after such adjudication; provided, that nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the placement of the person in a home with a full-time duly appointed peace officer who is certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET) pursuant to the provisions of Section 3311 of Title 70 of the Oklahoma Statutes.

E. Any person having been issued a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and who thereafter knowingly or intentionally allows a convicted felon or adjudicated delinquent or a youthful offender as prohibited by the provisions of subsection A, C, or D of this section to possess or have control of any pistol authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony punishable by a fine not to exceed Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00). In addition, the person shall have the handgun license revoked by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation after a hearing and determination that the person has violated the provisions of this section.

F. Any convicted or adjudicated person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony punishable as provided in Section 1284 of this title.

G. For purposes of this section, "sawed-off shotgun or rifle" shall mean any shotgun or rifle which has been shortened to any length.

H. For purposes of this section, "altered toy pistol" shall mean any toy weapon which has been altered from its original manufactured state to resemble a real weapon.

I. For purposes of this section, "altered air pistol" shall mean any air pistol manufactured to propel projectiles by air pressure which has been altered from its original manufactured state.

tell him to take up bow hunting until he gets a pardon

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are right on felons in the military. I had a friend that was given a choice at sentencing hearing of either one year at a juvenile detention center (he was 17 at the time) or enlist in the Army for a minimum of 4 years. He took the latter, that is where I met him.

boomerPI

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law used to be that a felon could own a ML or hunting shotgun for the express purpose of hunting and that any other use (going to the gun range out of season) was a violation.

It could have changed when I lived out of state from 1985-1994.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Felons can under federal law, but there is only one state that I know of that allows it. That's Arkansas.

Probation and Parole officers tell offenders leaving incarceration and going out on either Ankle Monitor or Probation that they are not allowed to touch anything except a bow or crossbow with medical restriction. I have heard them answer the enevitable "what about a muzzloader?" question several times and the answer is always " only if you want to catch a new case!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom