Question about Browning Citori......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudgetplinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a Browning Citori Field model 12ga O/U for $800 and was wondering if that was a good deal on a field model or just wait for another one to come along. Its all blued but the thing about it is, it has no engravings on it and I thought no matter which Citori it was it should be engraved with something but I could be wrong. Anyone have any input.....?

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not all have engraving but for $800 you should be able to find a Lightning model, that one has some ingraving on it and looks a lot more impressive.

Shotguns like cars have a large out of the box depreciation right away then the price usually follows the market after that,

condition means a lot and pits in the barrel hurt any model, the inside of the barrel shoul be shiny and smooth.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One time I bought a Gran Lightning with fitted luggage case & extra tubes for $900. Granted that's been a few years ago, but I think like Honeybee said, there are better deals out there.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have been looking at citoris about 2-3 times a week on gun broker and at every local gun show.

a $800 citori without any major damage is a steal. u could not find one online for less than $1000 until the economy tanked.

scroll on the receiver does not mean anything other than looks.

NOW - decide if choke is an invector or invector plus. invector plus started about 1993, or so, and they are back bored. this is suppose to mean a better pattern and i for one have had very good luck with back bored invector plus.

browing o/u keep their value, after new depreciation, very well. what i mean is that if you pick up a good clean used one, don't abuse it, and want to sell it after a few years, u probably will get at least what you paid for it baring any major flaws.

remember, whey you buy a shotgun, what you are buying is the 'pattern'. not the looks, finish, scrolling, synthetic or wood, ultimately what counts is the pattern. browning is hard to beat.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a citori sporting clays edition edition i believe have to check but is ther a way tp check and see what its worth just for curiostiy. My grandpa left it to me after he passed away a few years back and its still inimmaculate condition with the monte carlo stock and couple of extras. I{ wasnt sure if i could look up the serial # or what not. Anywho citori's are beautiful shotguns and i probably wont ever sell mine given sentimental value and such but would like more info on it.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having 2 of them $800 today is a real steal these sell for $1200+ new and they don't go down in value much unless they're beat up. My first 12 ga field case me about $650 used with a few scratches 20 years ago and I could get my money back today on it easy.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Re: Question about Browning Citori......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a citori sporting clays edition edition i believe have to check but is ther a way tp check and see what its worth just for curiostiy. My grandpa left it to me after he passed away a few years back and its still inimmaculate condition with the monte carlo stock and couple of extras. I{ wasnt sure if i could look up the serial # or what not. Anywho citori's are beautiful shotguns and i probably wont ever sell mine given sentimental value and such but would like more info on it.

If it has a monte carlo stock, and your granddad had it, i might be a trap gun. Sporting Clays guns don't come with monte carol stock to my knowledge. does it have a high rib?? and a long barrel. IF SO, THEN probably a trap gun.

VALUE - best place i know of is comparative shopping at Gun Broker. Browing Citoris are browning citoris, but they call them by a little different name for marketing sake. Kind of hard sometimes to find a specific gun in the blue book of guns because they change the names or discontinue a 'name'. With the serial number you can find the year it was produced in the Blue Book of Gun Values.

Guns with screw in chokes as opposed to fixed chokes usually are more desirable.

'Superposed' are worth more. original production 1931 - 1940 and after WWII 1948-1960. Collectable- one of the first O/U to be produced and the last designed by John Browning.

For resale - could be a guy out there collecting fixed choke, superposed, real clean and pretty guns but if that is what your gun is, there is not a lot of current demand for that gun. People who shoot have moved on to newer models.