Any need the perfect turkey and coyote gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If so, go look in the used rack at H&H gun range. They have a Savage combo gun (the model is something like 348 or similar) in 12 gauge under and .222 Remington over. It's a break open, single shot(s), two triggers, with selector switch. Made in Italy for Savage. Right sight folds down for use with the shotgun as a wingshooter, or up for the .222 barrel or fixed shotgun shot. Perfect fall turkey gun & coyote gun. I would have already bought it, if it had been .223 instead of .222. Asking $550 and it's in very good shape, but you might see if the seller has a reserve bottom line.

I was heretofore not even aware of this model of combo gun from Savage, and thought the 24s were it.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal preferences vary, but I have never seen a combo weapon that I liked. Doing one thing well is usually better than doing two things marginally.

For that money one should be able to pick up a good used .243 bolt (coyote killer supreme) and a repeating shotgun.

I suppose that if you are restricted to one gun in a blind, this might do it.

Again, different strokes . . . CB

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal preferences vary, but I have never seen a combo weapon that I liked. Doing one thing well is usually better than doing two things marginally.

For that money one should be able to pick up a good used .243 bolt (coyote killer supreme) and a repeating shotgun.

I suppose that if you are restricted to one gun in a blind, this might do it.

Again, different strokes . . . CB

I would agree, but I did have a H&R 22/410 that I killed a ton of squirrels with growing up. For a coyote though, I would stick with a rifle since they don't usually get within shotgun distance for me.

Reaction score
For a coyote though, I would stick with a rifle since they don't usually get within shotgun distance for me.

OK, I can see that, but for fall turkeys, it seems perfect - try to use the shotgun if possible, but if they're out beyond 40 yards, pop them with the rifle.

Yes, you could ream the chamber for .223 rem, but then there's added expense of the gunsmith.

You gonna carry both? Again, mainly for turkeys - the rifle will destroy a lot of meat, so it's a last ditch effort gun if you cannot get them in cloe, with the shotgun as the primary.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I can see that, but for fall turkeys, it seems perfect - try to use the shotgun if possible, but if they're out beyond 40 yards, pop them with the rifle.

Coyotes never seem to get within shotty range, but the turkeys always do (I hunt in thick brush). Of course deer come up with the cows in the winter time when we feed. A few of the younger does will take cubes right out of your hand. Never have deer hunted much. Mostly squirrel hunt. :thumbup3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom