One-piece cleaning rod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to get a good one-piece cleaning rod. What do you guys (and girls) recommend? Also should I get a coated one to protect the bore? I'm kinda leery of the stainless steel ones for that reason.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tipton Carbon Fiber Cleaning Rods. They have a brass fitting for screwing in various tips, and the rods are mounted on ball bearings so they spin smoothly when pushed through the bore. Pricey, but well worth it IMHO.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In doing a little more research, I've read that they coated ones can get crap embedded in the rod and scratch up the bore, so some recommend the stainless steel ones. Any thoughts or experience with that? Would the non-coated rod be a better way to go?

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you use a bore guide and a jag I don't think the rod ever touches the inside of the barrel. I only use Dewey products and I've used them for years on my custom made bolt guns that cost in the $4k+ range and if I thought they did anything trust me I wouldn't use them.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you use a bore guide and a jag I don't think the rod ever touches the inside of the barrel. I only use Dewey products and I've used them for years on my custom made bolt guns that cost in the $4k+ range and if I thought they did anything trust me I wouldn't use them.

Same here. If you think about it, anything that's in the bore (copper, lead, carbon fouling), was already shoved down the bore at high velocity while firing. How would these elements scratch your bore just because they got picked up on the rod?

All I do is make sure and clean the debris and fouling off the rod frequently. I doubt it helps, but it can't hurt. :)

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same here. If you think about it, anything that's in the bore (copper, lead, carbon fouling), was already shoved down the bore at high velocity while firing. How would these elements scratch your bore just because they got picked up on the rod?

All I do is make sure and clean the debris and fouling off the rod frequently. I doubt it helps, but it can't hurt. :)

Well...Burnt powder makes carbide which is harder than the steel of the barrel and enters the barrel behind the bullet. These particles of carbide can stick to the rod during cleaning and can be very abrasive to the bore of the rifle as you scrub the particalized rod through the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom