.17hmr owners, worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be worth prefacing this by pointing out that I grew up shooting .22's of all shapes and sizes and love them to this day, though I only have a 10/22 at this point.

In any event, are the bolt action .17hmr's as accurate and fun to shoot as they've garnered a reputation for being?

Since a nice Savage 93 with a decent scope is close to $500, is this particular brand of rimfire goodness enough fun to justify the expense? We're talking almost exclusively paper punching, btw.

There seems to be a pretty devoted .17 following springing up lately, and I'm generally curious if I'm really missing out on something. Any opinions from owners?

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot mine at steel at 400 meters this weekend. Couldn't be happier.
Whoa, 400? I got the impression somebody farting a mile away would knock the tiny bullets off course and that 200 was about the best you could hope for.

All the more intriguing. They have a bull barrel stainless thumbhole model in stock right down the street, very tempting.

This place has proven disastrous for my wallet during my short tenure.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whoa, 400? I got the impression somebody farting a mile away would knock the tiny bullets off course and that 200 was about the best you could hope for.

All the more intriguing. They have a bull barrel stainless thumbhole model in stock right down the street, very tempting.

Wind is nasty to this little guy, but I was getting hits on steel turkey's at 400m at the silhouette range at the OKC gun club on Saturday. Also the amount of hold over and flight time is pretty crazy too. I had a 200m zero and was holding over several feet.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

No way man, I nailed a bird at 275 yards with a Marlin 917 VSF and a
cheapo BSA sweet 17 scope. They are an absolute blast. I hate to say it,
but since I've been shooting the .17, my poor trusty .22 Mag has been left
sitting...

If you're thinking of the stainless thumbhole one, that's most likely a marlin too.
They are nice little rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom