Internal lock and non lock on wheel guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is it a turn key operation or a bur or a safety whats the purpose???

Rugers have the lock hidden under the grips and S&Ws have the "spiderhole" (a hole in the side plate) near the cylinder latch. Both are key style. Purpose was to give a person the ability to lock up a firearm without the need of a separate locking device. The concern is the lock failing and making the gun useless when you might need it most.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What the heck does this mean? I see this on a lot of revolver threads. What does this mean? Thank you.

Most notably, S&W. In the late '90's S&W was bought out by a small American company that made "safety locks" for guns. Since then, with very few exceptions, S&W revolvers have been equiped with an internal lock. It is a small keyhole above the thumb piece. A very small key makes the revolver inoperable. The problem is that there are documented cases of the internal lock failing and making the gun inoperable when it is not locked with the key. Most often a light weight gun with noticable recoil. While the chances of the internal lock failing are slim, many people (including myself) find this unacceptable in a self defense handgun. I would hazzard a guess that most owners of internal lock S&W revolvers never use the lock feature. The lock can be removed or disabled but there is still the hole in the frame and a slot where the "flag" was next to the hammer. Sometimes this S&W feature is referred to as the Clinton Lock or Hillary Hole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom