new semi-auto shot guns jamming help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey176293

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
12 g weatherby semi auto shooting remington and winchester 2 3/4, 8 shot, 1 1/8 oz, 3 dram,

also remington semi auto 11-87 20 g, shooting 23/4 2.5 dram, 7/8 oz, 8 shot

anybody seen this or have a solution?

both were jamming 2/5 shots about

Thanks

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you clean the guns before firing?

Can the 12 gauge shoot 3.5" shells, or just 3" max?

Those are decent loads, and the guns should cycle them no problem.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
be more specific about the jam.
Is the extractor pulling the spent shell out all the way and spitting it all the way out? If not then how far is it going"

Is the incomming shell getting stuck under the carrier?

Does the incomming shell impinge on the spent shell? and if so how much?

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
remove the trigger group and spray it with gun scrubber then remove the forend and do the same to the rings then use spray oil to lube them.If you are comfortable doing so you could take it down further.A friend bought an old 1100 that shot singles we took it apart and cleaned it and it has worked flawlessly worth ever penny of the 175$

mikey176293

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks all for the help. I will be re shooting them tomorrow after cleaning them. Also sometimes it would not eject the shell and all and I would have to rack it completely. other times it would attempt to eject but would get caught about half way out. I will try to take more notice on whats going on if it still jams...also just wondering how would spraying the trigger group help it from jamming?

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firmly believe you are shooting too light of loads. Try high brass through the Weatherby and no less than 1 oz. through the Rem. I bought a Weatherby semi auto for $50 because "it jams with everything". Was told by a friend that had one that it was designed for high brass. Never missed a lick after that.

After shooting many shotguns for many years I am of the opinion that 7/8 oz. loads are just too light to be reliable in a semi auto. Especially a 3" or 3 1/2" gun. I am also of the opinion that 90% of the semi auto failures is load related.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks all for the help. I will be re shooting them tomorrow after cleaning them. Also sometimes it would not eject the shell and all and I would have to rack it completely. other times it would attempt to eject but would get caught about half way out. I will try to take more notice on whats going on if it still jams...also just wondering how would spraying the trigger group help it from jamming?

It is a neglected item on remys I run all my semis wet.The only time it was a problem was when a pheasant flipped a wingfull of sand in an open bolt.that was the only malfunctions the gun has had in over 20years of use.Have you taken the gas rings off of either gun?

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds more like you need to clean the ejector, it is spring loaded but if there is something gunking it up it will not move smooth, it can release the shell if it does not have a good hold of it.

Spray the ejector down well with a presurized cleaner and try to eject a few shells by hand very quickly and see if it ejects them fully.