124 Grain Subsonics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loaded up 100 Sierra 124gr TMJs this morning and took them to Banner this evening. I loaded up 25 with 4.0 grains of Universal, 25 with 4.2 grains of Universal, 25 with 3.8 grains of TiteGroup, and 24 with 4.0 grains of TiteGroup. All of them were at 1.60" COL. I like the longer loads in my XD, they seem to be a little more accurate.

I didn't really care for either of the Universal loads. They seemed to be less reliable than the TG loads and to recoil harder. They all shot well in my SBR AR and all stayed subsonic from the 5.5" barrel. They cycled my AR and locked the bolt open after the last round like they were supposed to.

In the XD both TiteGroup loads would lock the slide back on the last round, but neither of the Universal loads would with the factory barrel.

With the XD and my new barrel I had all sorts of cycling issues. Neither Universal load would cycle reliably and neither would the 3.8 grain TG load. The 4 grain TG load cycled 8 out of 10 times so I attached the suppressor for the last few. They sounded pretty good and still cycled, but did not lock the slide open.

I will say that the new barrel had some cycling issues with 115 grain Federal/Blazer brass too. Not saying much, that stuff is garbage, but it's cheap. I've had issues with a couple boxes and the factory barrel....

A little oil and some more shooting of the new barrel should loosen it up nicely. It's pretty tight which is nice. It should be pretty accurate once it has worn in a little...hopefully!

I'm going to try this again with a shorter COL, maybe 1.135" this time. This should build a little more pressure from my loads and hopefully will be enough to fully cycle my XD.

These being subsonic is really exciting to me. I can order MG 124s quite a bit cheaper (about the same price for 750 more bullets) than the 147s.

If anyone has any of the 124 grain MG bullets from the group buy they would be willing to part with I'd be happy to buy them for more testing. Maybe about 200.
The Sierra TMJs were 20.00 per hundred at H&H...ouch.

Oh yeah, TiteGroup is smokier than Universal from my pistol and my rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom