has anyone seen the new ruger SR-556

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read some user reviews and they all said theirs suffered from some pretty bad carrier tilt. I'd probably wait until this issue is addressed by Ruger before buying.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Ruger is still the best bang for the buck around and I have always had very good results with their customer service. But it seems that sometimes they don't do their homework on new products before they bring them out. But this can be said of other companies as well. I've read and seen the same info on the carrier tilt. I have also read that either the hammer or trigger pins have a tendency to walk out. The person that posted this said that Ruger wanted him to send it back to Ruger(Ruger was to pay the shipping both ways).

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61997

More discussion:

http://www.defensereview.com/ruger-...rbine-ruger-enters-the-piston-driven-ar-fray/

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not shot one but have played with one in a store--tore it down and looked pretty well made. I know that I would like to try one out, don't know why as I have never had problems with a DI system. I have done a lot of reading on the subject and feel that Ruger is figuring out the tilt wear is really coming from the use of the Young carriers. The majority of the the other bolt carriers are showing minimal wear. A lot of the piston systems have bolt carrier tilt wear. One other note of wear is the cam pin in the upper receiver, but that seems to be only up to a certain point. There is a guy on ARFCOM, Melvin Johnson, that put his first Ruger 5.56 through some pretty decent test, and the wear was bad enough Ruger wanted the rifle back for eval's, and I believe they are sending him another on as a replacement. Melvin does know how to shoot, and can run his guns hard. I have known the man for a long time and when he tells me something is accurate, and reliable then it is--and he has been happy thus far to the point that he picked up a second one on the used market.

Now, if I could only find 1500 bucks in spare change between the car and sofa I would have one and we all could shoot it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom