What's the point of...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...a sawed off shotgun?

I'm a rifle/pistol guy. Though I own a couple of shotguns, one for HD and one for CAS I don't know jack about them.

You hear about sawed off shotguns in movies, on TV and even the news media occassionally. Sawed off SG's must be really evil though because they are regulated by ATF and a big no-no unless you pay a tax. They're so evil that the ATF and FBI are willing to kill people who have them or sell them (Ruby Ridge).

So what's the deal. What is different about a SG with a 16" barrel vs one with a 20" or 26" barrel? And why is a 16" barrel SG an evil no-no and an 18" barrel SG OK?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to agree. With the loss of control (larger pattern) you are more a danger to others. In theory.

Why would the pattern on a short barrel be larger than the pattern on a longer barrel?

The shot is coming out of the same size hole (assuming no choke on either barrel).

The only reason I can imagine for sawing short a barrel would be easier to carry and more maneuverable in confined spaces.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would the pattern on a short barrel be larger than the pattern on a longer barrel?

The shot is coming out of the same size hole (assuming no choke on either barrel).

The only reason I can imagine for sawing short a barrel would be easier to carry and more maneuverable in confined spaces.

Shot spreads out at a shorter distance when its coming out of a shorter barrel. Notice most people hunt with a 28" bbl.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot spreads out at a shorter distance when its coming out of a shorter barrel. Notice most people hunt with a 28" bbl.

Have to disagree there. Bbl length has little to nothing to do with pattern. The reason 28" is most common for hunting is for smoother swing and longer sight radius.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to disagree there. Bbl length has little to nothing to do with pattern. The reason 28" is most common for hunting is for smoother swing and longer sight radius.

Those are bonuses as well, but your % of shot on target with a 12" SBS compared to a 28" is gonna be way down at medium-long distance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom