casting bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody out there have an opinion on casting your own bullets. I shoot .45acp and 9mm and have been curious recently about casting. I don't think I would do much of it, but it actually sounds like fun. I just wondered for someone who might cast a few hundred a month what everyones thoughts on it were. I have heard all the stories about people who shot with bullets cast from wheel weights and it is all very nice and dandy, just curious. Anybody know where one could pick up a few used molds from?

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The following is the forum for you.

Castboolits

The cost savings from casting is entirely dependent on your source of cheap metal. For a few hundred rounds a month you don't need anything fancy, pot, mold, LLA (bullet lube) and a Lee push through sizer.

My 230gr 45 bullets come out at 10-25 bucks per thousand, depending on how cheap I got the metal. I really like being removed from the bullet supply chain too.

You can get Lee aluminum 2 cav. molds for like 19 bucks new, no real reason to go used unless you want a different bullet style or iron molds.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Bullet casting can also be a fun and rewarding hobby unto itself.
It really doesn't take all that much to make good bullets either.
I use an old Coleman stove converted to use propane, a small cast iron pot I picked up at a junk store and a casting ladle. I started with Lee molds and liquid alox and they did OK. I have since acquired a Lyman and a RCBS lube-sizer and several higher end Lyman molds.
I use cast exclusively for my 1911 practice round, .30-30 hunting loads and .357/.38 loads for pistol and carbine. I can't remember when I have bought a bullet for anything other than .223 in 7-8 years.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have molds for all my pistols, need to get back into that. I just haven't taken the time. It takes a while for the lead to melt, and the mold to get hot, so if you're gonna do it, it's worth doing a lot. Not something you can just go and cast 25 bullets at a moment's notice.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who owns a tire shop and in the fall and winter when business slows down, we drag out 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights and make bullets. As far as the molds go, I get most of mine from Lee Precision. The cost for the molds isn't too expensive.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cast pretty much for everything I own. Few exceptions.

I got started a looooooooooooong time ago as a way to stretch my plinking $'s.

I had a post some time back about how many rounds you can get out of I think a 5 gallon bucket of ww's. It was thousands. When I do everything myself, cast, lube/resize, reload, etc. I can load a box of 38spl for like a buck and a half. Granted all of my equiptment has been long paid for. I really need to recheck with the new higher prices for primers, but I suspect it's still mucho cheapo.

A lot of days when the weather is on the bad side I'll go out under the leanto on the side of the man cave and cast some bullets. Great way to spend some time and unwind.

As stated you can spend as little or as much as you want on stuff.

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Casting bullets makes a lot of sense. Just remember to have good ventilation and not breath the vapors off the pot. You have been given good advice above.

Jim

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another caution, when lead started getting so expensive, wheel weights started showing up made from zink. The zink melts pretty well on my propane fish cooker that I use for bullet alloy making, but if you mix it with your lead, it will ruin that batch of alloy. The zink increases the melting temperature of the alloy and it causes lots of problems with the molds. The bullets won't fill out all the lube grooves etc. in the mold. Be sure to separate the zink wheel weights from the lead. You can scratch the lead wheel weights with your finger nail, but you can't the zink. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom