Gas Piston AR, is it worth the extra money and weight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was considering purchasing a new AR and was trying to decide if I should get a gas piston.
Also, what brand is the most reliable. (POF, LWRC, LMT, etc..)
Thanks.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a piston rifle, why not go with a "ground-up" piston design?

I've been very happy with my Sig 556 Classic. Yes, it is front-heavy compared to a standard M4gery but it shoots wonderfully and that's about the only disadvantage in my eyes. I like the design of my Sig a lot better than my AR...I find it a bit easier to field strip and clean (not that the AR is that bad, really, just personal preference). Fewer small parts and pins and a more straightforward BCG design, IMO.

The 556 is not an AR, though. It's actually based on the Swiss Sig 55x series of assault rifles. The 556 has a few changes over those including compatibility with AR magazines (which is obviously a huge plus on any 5.56 platform) and more of a "scary black rifle" look, with some models coming with stock accessory rails and folding/collapsing stocks.

Of the piston AR designs, people seem to like LMT the best but I could be wrong.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
John Farnam say's that most of them don't run well.

If I was looking for one like that Id do an Robinson Arms XCR.

Oh wait that's what I did..

How ever I did shoot a buddy's LWRC and I've got to say it was nice and it ran okay but it was just on the bench not a true test.

stephen405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just shot my Lwrc 6.8 M6A2 and I'm amazed. The grouping was so tight unlike my LMT 5.56. I'm now a true believer of the gas piston. It really stays cool even after going through two mags and stayed clean. I love it.

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've grown up with the AR/M16 family. 6 years in the Corps. About two years ago, I got a S&W MP15T. Had major issues. While it was being fixed, I spent the money for a bushy M4 with the factory gas piston block. Figured would sell the S&W when I got it back. On the 16" barrel, to me I really can't tell a weight difference. I think that if there is any added weight it wouldn't be anymore then a weight of the rifles and added toys (M203's and other items issued). I've got about 7K round count so far and haven't cleaned other then the first time when I got it.

Overall. Yes. Runs cooler and cleaner. I haven't ran it like our aganecy full auto rifles. Those running full auto might have an issue due to higher round counts and heating as well as the pressure from the piston putting pressure on top area of the bolt carrier, causing more 'rotation' on carrier allowing wearing along the upper receiver where it travels back and forth inside. That's the only downfall that I can think of.

Other than that, love my gas piston bushy. Carry it for duty and trust it for my uses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom