Sierra Matchking - What do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have a great load for the SMK 150gr, but now am just finding out some horror stories when used for hunting.

Anyone have any experience with it as a hunting bullet? I won't be using it a my primary load for elk this year - should I have confidence in them as back up ammo for the elk?

Thanks!

abinok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive used 175, 190 and 220gr matchkings from 308 and 300WM on deer, mostly at long range. They work fine.

I have seen elk killed at distances that most won't believe with 220gr SMKs from big cartriges and 300gr SMKs from 338s.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive seen people say they arent for large game. My uncled has shot some Muleys with SMKs and they were DRT, no tracking needed.

I know a muley isnt an elk, but they arent small game either.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I used a 168 gr SMK on a decent sized buck, he dropped after walking 20 yards. It left an exit the size of a baseball, I wouldn't hesitate to use those or 150 gr SMK's on whitetail in Ok.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sierra specifically states that matchking bullets are not intended for hunting. They make good varmint bullets, since they have no terminal ballistic design, they seem to fragment quite well.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
having lost a deer to "target" bullets I've gone to TSX or a good bonded bullet.
That said if you dont push them to fast Ive heard really good stuff stuff about the Berger bullets.. they are making some that ar for hunting and they are just enough different than SMK's that Im planing on using some of them in my 264 Win.

John Barnsness wrote a good artical about Berger bullets for big game hunting a wile back and he really liked them.. Here is a link to one of his books http://www.riflebullets.net/authors.html

leon strickland

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
sierra matchking is not just for paper punching they are very accurate at long ranges. they are very a fine game bullet .i have taken game at very long shots with them with confidence,with what i hit is going down. i have yet to a game animal travel any more than a few paces folding up under the energy they deliver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom