DuraKote or CeraKote for pitted slide?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a .45 slide sight unseen and it has some minor pitting. The slide itself appears to be in good shape besides the cosmetics. Which process would most likely conceal the blemishes? Here are some pics of the slide:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
sometimes pitting like that can go pretty deep; cant really tell how bad until you blast it. Id just blast the crap out of it and cerakote it.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would give it a surface grind first with some 220 to see if it is deep, I have polished out some that look a lot worse than that appears.

Use wet/dry paper and keep it wet with water or light oil while sanding, use a sanding block.

Personally I hate to see good steel painted if it can be saved but then I am just an old-timer, you can do what you want.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to re-blue it but didn't think the blemishes would come out. I was going try some fine steel wool but wanted to ask here first. It is an Ithaca slide so it has a bit of heritage to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom