Travel without CCW permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son will be purchasing a handgun here in OKC and will be driving to Texas where he is stationed. He does not have a carry permit yet. How should he handle the trip?

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
keep the ammo away from the gun as well. you can get busted for having ammo near the firearm even tho unloaded. at least thats what i hear for oklahoma

Without a permit Oklahoma only requires unloaded: no rounds in the cylinder on a revolver; magazine out of the gun if the magazine is loaded. There is no "ammo separate from the gun" law as people often quote. Perhaps that is a rule in other states which is why hear it quoted so much around here?

Of course traveling through other states it's probably best to make sure that it's obvious that you have no ill-intentions and I think carrying ammo separate would be a good move in that direction.

Bryan

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without a permit Oklahoma only requires unloaded: no rounds in the cylinder on a revolver; magazine out of the gun if the magazine is loaded. There is no "ammo separate from the gun" law as people often quote. Perhaps that is a rule in other states which is why hear it quoted so much around here?

Of course traveling through other states it's probably best to make sure that it's obvious that you have no ill-intentions and I think carrying ammo separate would be a good move in that direction.

Bryan

Thanks for the clarification!

glock23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most importantly, if he happens to get pulled over it is probably wise to inform the LEO that there is a weapon in the car and that it is unloaded. ESPECIALLY if there is any chance the officer might see the gun....as stated previously, weapon in the trunk, ammo in the front.......no worries....I hope your son has a great trip and congratulate him on his new purchase for me (makes me want to go buy something).

Latest posts

Top Bottom