Century/ IO inc AK-47s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xSMOKExLESSxCRACKx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a friend/co-worker/customer who is in the market for an "automatic" rifle. Budget puts an MBR or high $ AR out of reach*. I have a distributor for Arsenal AKs but even those have gone up so much as to be in the same price range as certain model ARs.

I've opened a new account with a wholesaler that distributes AKs made by Century and IO inc. They're a bit less expensive as the Arsenals and whould make them an affordable alt. to the higher priced stuff or having to covert a Saiga.

I hesitate though because I haven't heard the greatest things about Century's FALs, haven't heard of IO lnc at all, and not particularly interested in selling junk.
Does anyone own or have experience with AKs from Century or IO inc.?

* Have discussed doing some type of "layaway" but thats all still up in the air at this time.

ChaseOK

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Century rifles can be hit and miss sometimes. There tends to be less problems with the Yugo M70 rifles than the WASR's. Quality control doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as quantity.
You just need to look them over for cant issues in the front sight and gas block.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a WASR-10 from Century about 5 yrs ago. Yeah, this was a single stack mag well that had been routed out to take high cap magazines and the work was rudimentary but worked just fine. Refinished the wood and looked great. After very little tinkering this turned into a reliable and very fun plinker. Had enough fun w/it that I bought two more. All three run great. Sure, the AK aficionados scoff at them but if you are wanting to try an AK style for a reasonable price I would tell you to buy one. After having all three apart and shooting them safety has never been a concern. With four different loads through each only one is a little temperamental with Military Classic.
IMHO a good gun to use and abuse like you would like to with a more expensive gun but just can't bring yourself to it.

ChaseOK

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, they will take a beating like any other traditional AK and never look back. While Arsenal and Lancaster AK's are more expensive with a much better fit and finish, the WASR's will do the same job (as long as you do your part) but you will have money left over to feed it.
I have had WASR's, M70AB1's & M70AB2's and I never had an issue with them.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had several Century's, and they all fired, reliably. Although, the saiga I had was way more "sweet". I finally broke down and made an effort to afford an AR, not sure if I will be purchasing anymore Century's. Only AK I would be in the market for now is a badace Krink. If you have no experience w/ the AK platform, get a Century, don't look back, and blast away. When your done, you can get almost the same you got it for back out of it.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a WASR 10/63 recently as a beater rifle. I have a YUGO AK and a Norinco AK that are top notch, but they cost quite a bit more than the WASR. The WASR may not be pretty, but it shoots just great. I get 3" groups with Brown Bear and Monarch ammo at 100 yds.

For the price...can't beat it. Plus, you can take the money you save buying the cheaper WASR and buy tons of ammo.

More ammo = More Fun

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IO inc guns come with a lifetime manufacturers warranty...never had to use it so cannot say how good they are at honoring it.

bottom line is this-> both century and IO are at the bottom of the barrel quality wise. You will not find a lower quality mass produced AK than one built by those two companies. They will sell much better than arsenals because their are a lot more people willing to drop $600 on an "entry level" AK vs $1100 arsenal. And for the most part, they will shoot just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom