hello

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trueheart39

New to the site!
Reaction score
first of all, i'd like to say hi to everyone and that i hope you are all having a great weekend. i'm new to this site and i have some questions. i am in the beginning stages of getting an SDA, learning to shoot a gun and when i am ready, what kind of gun should i get? i have small hands so im not sure what to do here. does any one have any suggestions?

.45Fats

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go to H&H with a credit card, deep pockets, and lots of spare time. ;)
lol
in all seriousness talk to guys you know with different weapons, shoot and handle as many different weapons as you can and choose the one that best fits your hands and you are most comfortable shooting. if you're completely new to shooting do everyone (yourself especially) a big favor and spend LOTS of range time with your weapon, learn to shoot not just get something to carry....other than that all I can say is welcome to the forums, there's a lot of good guys with better info than me here!

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go to H&H with a credit card, deep pockets, and lots of spare time. ;)
lol
in all seriousness talk to guys you know with different weapons, shoot and handle as many different weapons as you can and choose the one that best fits your hands and you are most comfortable shooting. if you're completely new to shooting do everyone (yourself especially) a big favor and spend LOTS of range time with your weapon, learn to shoot not just get something to carry....other than that all I can say is welcome to the forums, there's a lot of good guys with better info than me here!

Sounds like good advice to me. Just get some firearm safety training. Don't fret too much about the first firearm you purchase. Trust me there you'll be getting several more. LOL

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
And about the comfortable comment, make sure you shoot a gun before you cross it off your list. Sometimes a gun that feels really comfortable just holding, is NOT when you shoot it, or vice versa. Also remember that for the same caliber, a heavier gun will have less recoil than a lighter one, so small for CCW is a trade off, lighter weight, easier to carry, but harder to shoot comfortably and accurately.

Depending on how small your hands really are, you may want to find a single stack gun, or a revolver. And for carry, unless you go to something like a full size 1911, Glock, or large frame revolver, CCW is completely possible even if the gun is not a tiny one. And, some people do carry full size 1911s and Glocks. So, you can carry whatever you want to. It's more dependent on how willing you are to dress around the gun, or how serious you are about carrying an adequate gun. ie, if you wear tight jeans and a muscle shirt, then you may not be able to conceal anything larger than a peashooter, but wear normal fitting jeans and a loose tshirt and you can carry just about anything you want. If you wear a sport jacket to work every day, the sky's the limit.

I can carry a Glock 19, Sig 228, Kimber 4" 1911, or a 3" Ruger GP100 under a size L Tshirt with shorts. I'm 6'1", 180lbs.

One other very important piece of advice, the holster and especially the belt, can make a huge difference on all day comfort when adding a 2 lb chunk of metal to your belt!

Any other specific questions ask away!

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi... I am in the same basic situation as you. I've shot a bunch of guns at H&H by renting them. It is very costly. If I had just used the money I spent on range, ammo and gun rental I could have bought one by now. But I know so much more now.

I also have small hands. I really like the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. The grip can be adjusted with changeable backstraps to fit you hand better. Its an easy gun to shoot.

B

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are lots of great guns out there. Go to a range and rent a bunch to see what fits you. Basically you'll need to decide between a revolver vs. a semi-auto. Revolvers are typically considered a little more reliable and feel/point very well. However, they have limited capacity (most are 5 or 6 shots) and they are slower to reload. Semi-autos are, for the most part, just as reliable as revolvers, but can be a little more picky on ammo. They typically have higher capacity and are faster to reload.

Either way, but a quality brand (S&W, Ruger, Glock, Sig, HK etc.) lots of ammo and spend time learning the weapon. Don't get too much gun! Some people will say get the biggest gun you can handle. If you can, start out with a .22lr. Learn the basics, and work up to something like a .38 spl or 9mm for self defense. It's much easier to learn proper shooting techniques right off the bat, rather than developing bad habits and trying to break them later on.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the advice you've been given. I wonder if you can contact an instructor who will bring a few different weapons to the training you've paid him to give you. I honestly don't know the answer, but I don't think it would hurt to ask. I would think that someone who professionally instructs might be willing to do that.

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi... I am in the same basic situation as you. I've shot a bunch of guns at H&H by renting them. It is very costly. If I had just used the money I spent on range, ammo and gun rental I could have bought one by now. But I know so much more now.

I also have small hands. I really like the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. The grip can be adjusted with changeable backstraps to fit you hand better. Its an easy gun to shoot.

B

im somewhat the same way but i've shot guns my whole life. mostly revolvers, shotguns, and rifles. i've shot a few semi autos but picked up my own the other day. my hands are smaller and i got the beretta PX4 storm 9mm. it comes with 3 grip sizes and so far its an amazing gun in my opinion. kind of pricey but i love it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom