how to check if a gun may be stolen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It used to be, I'd just call NCIC. Got the number from a buddy. We used it when buying old Harley frames and engine cases a lot. One day, they asked me for my commission number. Musta been a new policy. Anyway, I explained that I was just a regular schmoe, and that was the end of that. That was in the early 1990s. Got no idea now.

Got any police friends? That's what I'd do, if I was concerned. Get a bill of sale, DL #. One guy even took a picture of me. No big deal. I'm real pretty!

If you are really thinking it is hot, just don't buy it!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very good point

But I would think a police station could/would check for you

If they do...and it is...you COULD be charged with possession of stolen property. :ooh2:

If you're lucky enough NOT to be charged with such, the weapon will DEFINITELY be seized and then you gotta explain to the guy where "his" gun is. :scratch:

Good luck.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
could always have it transferred to you via FFL

I think any problems would be flagged and you wouldn't be out money (wouldn't transfer a stolen gun to you) or trying to explain how you have a stolen gun.

mmain1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It used to be, I'd just call NCIC. Got the number from a buddy. We used it when buying old Harley frames and engine cases a lot. One day, they asked me for my commission number. Musta been a new policy. Anyway, I explained that I was just a regular schmoe, and that was the end of that. That was in the early 1990s. Got no idea now.

Got any police friends? That's what I'd do, if I was concerned. Get a bill of sale, DL #. One guy even took a picture of me. No big deal. I'm real pretty!

If you are really thinking it is hot, just don't buy it!

Did you say you are pretty?

:hey3:

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the weapon will DEFINITELY be seized and then you gotta explain to the guy where "his" gun is. :scratch:

Good luck.

I had a friend who had a buddy of mine,an OSBI agent,check a gun he bought at a gun show and it came back stolen.My agent buddy had no choice but to seize the weapon.Buy guns at gun shows from individuals at your own risk.If you buy from a dealer,you may pay a little more but you will have recourse if it shows up later as stolen. Steve

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i had a guy buy a 1891 mosin from me at a gunshow, he kept asking me if it was stolen, i was kind of insulted because i had bought it from a board sponsor, and of course no it wasnt hot

Latest posts

Top Bottom