how to check if a gun may be stolen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
could always have it transferred to you via FFL

I think any problems would be flagged and you wouldn't be out money (wouldn't transfer a stolen gun to you) or trying to explain how you have a stolen gun.

That wouldn't help. The only information about the firearm shared with NICS during the call-in is the firearm type (long gun, handgun, etc.).

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any legitimate seller should not be opposed to someone asking for a serial number in advance of the deal. Hopefully you can find someone in LE willing to run it for you. It has always worked for me.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any legitimate seller should not be opposed to someone asking for a serial number in advance of the deal. Hopefully you can find someone in LE willing to run it for you. It has always worked for me.

Don't put your LE friends in jeopardy by asking them to do this for you.

It is against NCIC regs and will likely get them fired (and possibly prosecuted) if your suspicion is confirmed, the gun is stolen and a gun doesn't get turned in.

A friend, or even an honest citizen, would not put someone in this position.

Michael Brown

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if it is stolen I would fully expect them to turn it in. If someone is trying to sell me a stolen weapon, I would have no hesitation in seeing someone in LE turn them in for it. I would never ask a friend to cover something up even if their career was not at risk.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if it is stolen I would fully expect them to turn it in. If someone is trying to sell me a stolen weapon, I would have no hesitation in seeing someone in LE turn them in for it. I would never ask a friend to cover something up even if their career was not at risk.

The reason that NCIC requires an officer to have a weapon in hand before running it is to prevent just such situations.

Thus if someone asks an officer to run a weapon over the phone or just gives them a serial number, it places the officer in a compromised position.

Michael Brown

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone had unintentionally bought a stolen gun and it came back as stolen, would the buyer get in trouble for this or just turn the gun in?

The way I understand it, you would likely be charged with receiving stolen property or possession of stolen property. However, once you agree to act as a witness against the person you bought it from those charges would probably be dismissed.

Bryan

benschne

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't it a legal assumption that a seller in a transaction implies that goods are not stolen? I do not know why this would be different with firearms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom