Colt Commander XSE 1911 Lightweight SS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've kind of gotten the 1911 bug. I have an STI Spartan, but want to move up to the next level. Both in looks and quality.
I've been eyeing a Colt 04860 XSE .45 Lightweight Commander SS. Has an aluminum/alloy frame. I like the looks of it and really want a Commander. Also not opposed to the stainless frame for the slight gain in weight. They are running about $825.
Any lovers or haters of these guns? Any other suggestions for something nice to look at as well as nice to shoot?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These days, I wouldn't be too enamored of a Colt 1911. Their build quality, IMHO, has declined in the past 10-15 years, so I'd consider them about on a par with some of the STI offerings.

I'd suggest you look at the Springfield Armory line of 1911's, or perhaps the Smith & Wesson issues. For that kind of money, you could also look at the lower-end Kimbers.

I know some people will disagree, but that's my :twocents:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna disagree with Perplexed. The stuff Colt is putting out now is much better than their older stuff, I've owned both. I've seen lots of gunsmiths say the same thing on the forums aswell. Currently, I own an older LW Colt Commander that is now a full house custom build and a newer XSE Stainless commander.

Either way a Colt is considerably better than a Spartan, considering they use a better frame and slide for starters. Also, there is less MIM on a Colt than a Kimber, Springfield or S&W.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto to what GMT said.

Colt is producing a very good product these days. I think the XSE lineup is a great value for what you get. The most common complaint lately regarding Colts are almost always nitpicked cosmetic issues.

In the world of 1911s, the first thing you should do is determine your budget. Each price point has different "best" options. How much are you willing to spend on the gun? How much on a holster? How much on a belt?

My advice would be to go with the steel frame. A steel frame is not much heavier and will have a longer life. I personally don't see any advantage with the LW frame. With the proper belt and holster, the weight of an all steel 1911 will not be an issue. My gov't size 1911 is my edc. No weight issues. Use a good belt and a good holster. Problem solved.

I also would suggest shooting and handling both the govt size (5") and the commander size (4" or 4.25") and see which you prefer. A gov't model is just as easy to carry and conceal for me as the commander. The same is true for most people. Shortening the slide by 3/4" does very little to make a gun more "carry friendly".

In the under $1000 range, I personally would suggest a Colt XSE Combat Elite, a Springfield Loaded Operator, or a Dan Wesson Heritage or CBOB(if you like bobbed backstraps).

In the under $1500, the Springfield TRP, Dan Wesson Valor, or a used Les Baer.

Under $2000, Custom build, Used Wilson Combat CQB, or Used Ed Brown.

Good luck on your search. :)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carrying full size is more difficult if you're trying to carry north of 3 O'clock. That little bit does make a difference for me. Again, I've tried both. To be honest, it all depends on body type anyways. I can do it, but a commander is more comfy when sitting down or driving.

Now carrying a steel 1911 instead of a LW is no problem either. However, again, it's just quite a bit more comfortable with a LW frame to me.

On the flipside, having a steel 1911 keeps your options more "open" for any custom work you may want. LW framed guns tend to pose more hurdles and restrictions. Again..... speaking from experience. :rollingla Ask Dr. Greyson.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna disagree with Perplexed. The stuff Colt is putting out now is much better than their older stuff, I've owned both. I've seen lots of gunsmiths say the same thing on the forums aswell. Currently, I own an older LW Colt Commander that is now a full house custom build and a newer XSE Stainless commander.

Either way a Colt is considerably better than a Spartan, considering they use a better frame and slide for starters. Also, there is less MIM on a Colt than a Kimber, Springfield or S&W.

What is Colt using that is MiM?

Please don't say Thumb-safety.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know about the Colt quality, but my 4" all steel Kimber is a SOLID chunk of steel. It IS noticeable compared to carrying a Glock. The LW frame would help that. It's not undoable, or really uncomfortable, just less so than the lighter guns. I'll agree that barrel length makes little difference for behind the hip carry.

I wouldn't consider the newer model Kimbers worth the premium they demand.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Colt Lightweight Commander XSE is an excellent piece. They are being made on new CNC equipment. The only issue that I have experienced is with the mags (occasinal failure to feed the last round). I use Kimber KimPro Tacmags without issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom