Review of .22LR ammo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I got bored today so I decided to grab my Remington 572 fieldmaster and some different kinds of ammo. I was shooting at 50 yards with iron sights from the bench.

Group A 5 rounds CCI stinger.
Group B 5 rounds Winchester xpediter.
Group C 10 rounds Winchester 333 round bulk pack 36 GR. HP.
Group D 15 rounds Federal 550 round value pack 36 GR. HP.

I was going to shoot 5 rounds of each but i started to have fun.
I am going to do another shoot when i find where I put all my other .22 ammo.

ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc142_Jon3830_DSCF0010a.jpg

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc142_Jon3830_DSCF0009b.jpg

Group A Aguila SSS 60 GR LRN
Group B CCI segmented HP 32 GR
Group C CCI MIN-MAG HP 36 GR
group D CCI Velocitor 40 GR HP

I was able to control my fun this time and only shoot 5 rounds per group.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you clean the barrel after each 5 rounds?

I don't think that's really necessary, or that it would even help. In HP rifle competition they give you a "fouling shot" so that your bullets are all skating through a layer of copper, but I don't think that's an issue with a .22.

I have an old beater Marlin that shoots tacks with bulk pack Winchester. With Remington bulk I might as well be shooting a shotgun, though. I splurged on some match grade stuff from Eley and I'll see how that does.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you clean the barrel after each 5 rounds?

nope I think if I cleaned it the groups would look like I used buckshot I only clean that barrel about every 5000 rounds. I have had this gun 20 years and I think it was made in the late 50's early 60's and it is pump action. Last time I cleaned it I had to shoot it about 20 times to get my accuracy back.

bfoster

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Many experienced small bore shooters will note that when shooting from a clean barrel it will take 10 to 15 shots for the rifle to begin shooting well. And when changing ammunition, particularly when changing brands, it will take at least 5 to 10 shots for the rifle to show what it is capable of.

Bob

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to do another shoot when i find where I put all my other .22 ammo.

Boy ain't that the truth. Every time I go looking I find ammo where it shouldn't have been. I found a bunch of old bulk packs I had forgotten about the other day. Kind of a nice treat though, they were priced at $8.39.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different guns like different ammo. I have a couple of Makarovs with .22 conversions installed. One of them likes Federal Lightning far better than anything else. The other one likes Stingers.

If you have a Makarov you want to convert, good luck finding a kit. Mine are the relatively recent imports which do not use the "carriers." The "carrier" versions were worth $2000-$3000 last I heard if you can find a complete one. CB

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I found some WW 333 at walmart yestreday,haven't used any in years because the quality went downhill,hope they got the quality fixed. CCI minimag HP I think is the best for hunting,Aguila standard velocity for inexpensive practice,CCI velocitors for larger vermin.Federal 550 bulk for self loaders (doesn't leave a load of grease to gum things up).Remington has seriously gone downhill,the Golden Bullet used to be the best thing around for all around use. YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom