Mosin Nagant scopes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie Killer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all. I just bought a Mosin Nagant m44 carbine. I really like this gun, but im curious, is there a way to mount scopes on these? I dont see any spot where one can be attached, but being a bolt action, I figured there must be a way. Any suggestions?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. I just bought a Mosin Nagant m44 carbine. I really like this gun, but im curious, is there a way to mount scopes on these? I dont see any spot where one can be attached, but being a bolt action, I figured there must be a way. Any suggestions?

I would strongly recommend a scout mount, where the rear sight leaf is removed (and bagged with a clear and informative label). Then a scout scope mount is installed using the attachment points of the rear sight leaf, and a pistol scope (or other long-eye relief scope) is mounted. With such a setup, there's no drilling or tapping (i.e., permanent modifications that can kill the value of the rifle and possibly affect function). I've had scout mounts on a Moisin-Nagant 91/30 and a Mauser K98k, and they worked very well.

Google "Darrell's Scout Mounts" and you'll find the web site where those are discussed (and sold). There are other make/models, but I'd recommend that one.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The long eye relief is a real plus for a hard kicker like the 44. No "half moon club" problems with these. Only downside is shooting toward the sun makes for a real challenge. If you plan to hunt with the Model 44 you need to figure out how to use the safety without screaming or cursing (scares the game).

If you want directions on how to modify the safety, PM me. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom