Value of vintage Ithaca 1911-A1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Ithaca 1911-A1 stamped 'Property US Army'. Serial # shows it was part of a lot built in 1943. (I have always dreamed it has kilt more Nazis than Indiana Jones.)

I bought it before I had a wife and kids, and am thinking of trading it for a new 45 ACP of some kind. (I can't drop $600 anymore for a Want) From what I've read, this gun should be preserved and I'm a bad person for ever shooting it.

I would like a nice new .45 so I can join the era of staggered magazines and adjustable sites. I can't hit squat with those tiny fixed sights.

The book on these is $1000+ depending on condition. What do you guys think it is worth? If I ask to trade for a new .45, should I ask for something extra or would I do well just getting a new model? I'm thinking I'd like a 5" XD .45.

I hate to part with this gun and I'm not decided yet on a trade. My dad has a 1911-A1 of some make that I will inherit someday, but it was not a WW2 service pistol.

My Ithaca does need a new bushing; it's cracked. And the safety needs re-pinned or whatever you call it. It is pulling away from the slide.

I wouldn't mind keeping it for my home defense pistol if I could get better sights for it and I knew I wasn't tearing it up by practicing with it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know what they're worth exactly, but if you can't bear the thought of cutting on it, then sell it, and buy another gun. For a grand, you could get an XD45, a nice holster, night sights, extra mags, and some ammo.

btw, I'm also moving this to the Handgun section.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One, Shooting that old war horse really isn't going to hurt it, granted prices are going up on them, but unless its 100% still in the craft box, you won't get its full value with the issues you described. USGI spare parts are all over the place, so getting a new bushing isn't an issue, neither is having a gunsmith fix up the thumb safety.

Don't get me wrong, she's still valuable, and I wouldn't do anything to the sights, but with the issue's you already told us about, and we don't have pics to get a look at her, she's not worth a grand to sell.

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not disputing your expertise, in fact I'm seeking it. I am curious though; I read so much about people 'cracking' these guns by shooting them with worn parts. What is it I need to be careful about?
Do I need to keep a fresh recoil spring or invest in some dampener?

I haven't decided fo sure to trade the old girl, so I might as well educate myself in proper care. I've had it about 8 years so I don't know if any parts have been replaced.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not disputing your expertise, in fact I'm seeking it. I am curious though; I read so much about people 'cracking' these guns by shooting them with worn parts. What is it I need to be careful about?
Do I need to keep a fresh recoil spring or invest in some dampener?

I haven't decided fo sure to trade the old girl, so I might as well educate myself in proper care. I've had it about 8 years so I don't know if any parts have been replaced.

First get that bushing replaced, then a new recoil spring. You really need to have it looked over by a gunsmith strictly for function, and change out any worn parts. Make sure you keep all the original parts to the gun if you decide to sell, as they are original to when you got it, and the next owner may want them.

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I had a new idea: My biggest problem with this gun as my home defense pistola is the worthless sights and low capacity mags. I would like to preserve the slide, however.

It appears I could get a replacement slide for about $130 with pre cut sights and put my own target sights in. I already have a 10 round mag, it's kind of lame how it protrudes, especially if I ever get a CCA, but if I could hit anything with this gun I would keep it. My question: If I get a new slide, what else must be moved over that I haven't thought of? Like the safety and other parts.

My objective is to get this thing as accurate as my beloved Buckmark .22 target pistol. Or close to as accurate.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Where have you found 1911 slides for $130? The ones I like (Caspian Arms) are $200+. If you do put another slide on this ol' gal & some sites, practice alot, you'll soon see 7 rounds is more than enough.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not a 1911 expert. I really haven't even shot one that much. But yes, Ithaca was one of the contractors building 1911s during WWII.

Additional disclaimer: I tend to be a nostalgic person so there ain't no way I would trade or sell that 45 for a more modern gun. That is an operational piece of history that is more than adequate for home defense. If it were mine I would have it checked out and\or repaired by a competent 1911 gunsmith and keep the old jewel around. If you feel you need to install some modern parts to achieve your goal of a good defense weapon, go for it but just don't do anything to alter the original parts. Keep anything you took off it in a safe place for the future.

:twocents:

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ARGH! I had just decided to go ahead and quote a price to two people who msg'd me and finally part with the old girl. Now....

I am a history buff, especially WW2, so this pistol's origins count a lot for me. I bought it hoping for an actual WW2 era .45. I knew it was old when I bought it but I was pleased to learn later it was actually assembled in 1943. I was looking for a Colt brand and never heard of Ithaca. Looked the same though. Hey, I was 23!

Man, I really want that SA XD-45 Tactical though.

Can you find those used very cheap?

The pistol is basically just to cover me while I get to my SKS and my wife backs me up with her pump 20g. I mainly want a gun I can go plink with my friends and actually compete as far as accuracy. And maybe keep in my truck when I get CCL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom