Buck Mark .22 range report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microsoftisevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello folks. I figured I'd type up a little bit about my new Buck Mark .22 Standard Stainless with URX grip. Got it a couple weeks ago and finally got a chance to spend some time with her. Let me tell you that it was well worth the $350 (yeah I coulda got it for $300 but I would have had to wait a month because he was out of them).

First off, the gun feels great in my hand. It is very easy to "point" and is really ergonomic. The fit and finish is good; very few tool marks. I stripped it down and cleaned it the first night. The recoil spring is a little tricky to get out.

My one complaint is that the the front sight kind of blends in with the back. Maybe I'll get a new front sight one of these days, but this seems to only be a problem if you are going to shoot later in the day or early morning. This is a very minor complaint, so please don't burn me! Maybe I shoulda opted for the optic sights. The sights are excellent other than that. I am positive that the gun is well capable of outshooting most shooters free standing.

I've heard reports of a problem with the front allen screw working its way loose, but I didn't have this problem. I ran probably 800 rounds through it in the course of the weekend and it never came loose. I had 2 failure to fires (click and no boom, but the rim of the case was very much indented) which I chock up to defective ammo. I had one failure to feed. I inspected the cartridge and did find a small indentation. Not sure if that is why it jammed or not. All in all, I'd say 3 out of 800 is hard to beat out of a .22.

Just in case you were wondering, I tried all kinds of ammo. The CCI mini mag HP seemed to work the best and were the most uniform as far as accuracy. I also ran some CCI mini mag solid points through it. Also used some Remington Yellow Jackets, which were very good too. If I were to hunt, that is probably what I'd use. They seemed to have the most bite to them (just an observation, no science). Also shot some Winchester Super-X, no complaints. Tried about 300 Fiocchi solid points. They actually grouped really well. At $3 a box, this is really hard to beat. Ran about 40 remington bulk 550 through it too. If I recall correctly, the failure to fires were on a Yellow Jacket and a Fiocchi. The failure to feed was a CCI mini mag solid point.

All in all, this is a great gun for plinking. I did all my shooting on my dad's farm, and I think he is jealous of it. He just bought a Sig Mosquito, and let me tell you that thing jams about 1 in 10. I was shooting up the Winchester Super-X and the Fiocchi that he bought for his Mosquito. Problem was that the Sig jammed about every other round with those. I really wish he had called me before he bought it so that I could have told him to run far away from the Mosquito!

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Post. I have owned several Rugers, but recently purchased a Buck Mark. I really like it. It has a good grip and balance. Rarely malfunctions. Shoots most ammo well. I'll keep this one.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome little guns aren't they?! I took mine out for the first time this last weekend as well. Great gun. Emptied a whole box of .22s. I bought the cheapest camper I could find. Planning on putting on a TacSol integrated rail and a TacSol Trail Lite barrel to suppress later on.

If you haven't already done so, go to rimfirecentral and check out the "Heggis Flip". Quick and dirty trigger job that will bring the pull down to about 2.5lbs. I did the Heggis Flip and a polish job the first night I purchased it. Great trigger. Very easy to hit the 100yd steel target out at Tri City range.

If you like flat triggers (I sure do), rusty22 on rimfirecentral offers a lot of various options. I should hopefully get mine in a couple weeks. It comes with an overtravel screw.

For those who use red dots on their 22s, any preference on Dr. optics vs scopes?

I have been looking at the Burris Fastfire and the Ultradot L/T. In scopes I see there's the Bushnell RPD or something like that. Any others that I should be aware of? I am definitely open to suggestions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom