New rifle in a new caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey I am wanting to get a new rifle and am wondering what caliber to get it in? I mostly want it for plinking and varmit stuff but maybe for small game. I want something that shoots flat and is not too affected by wind and cheap, what do you all think would fit that bill?

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.17 hmr unless you want something that'll go beyond coyotes.

.243 if you want deer capability.

Cheap is a relative term. How much do you want to spend? CB

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plinking and cheep? Wal mart has those noisy cricket 22s, savage 22s and ruger 10/22s from low 100s to low 200s and will do what you asked. The ammo is still like 15 to 20 bucks for around 500 rounds and the match ammo is more but night and day differance in performance

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, I'd go with the .223. Ammo is available and not as expensive as the other stuff.

The ,243 is a good calibler, too. But ammo cost is up there with the .270, 30-06, etc. If you're gonna reload you can bring the costs down considerably.

I used to really enjoy shooting my .270, but due to an operation that fused my 5th and 6th vertebrae, shooting more than a 3 rounds thru that .270, while not painful is uncomfortable.

Thats when I bought a .223. I can shoot it all day if I want and it doesn't bother me at all.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, I'd go with the .223. Ammo is available and not as expensive as the other stuff.

The ,243 is a good calibler, too. But ammo cost is up there with the .270, 30-06, etc. If you're gonna reload you can bring the costs down considerably.

I used to really enjoy shooting my .270, but due to an operation that fused my 5th and 6th vertebrae, shooting more than a 3 rounds thru that .270, while not painful is uncomfortable.

Thats when I bought a .223. I can shoot it all day if I want and it doesn't bother me at all.

I have always thought the .270 kicks more than it should. (This from a shooter of .338s and .375s :) )

It is a great and very popular deer cartridge.

Regarding the original question, .22 lr is certainly a player if small game and paper are the objectives. CB

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22 long rifle is the cheapest and a good small game round and excellent for plinking. It does not shoot flat. Sounds to me like a 223 is what you're looking for.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think without question it would be a 223. It's not that far behind the 22-250 in velocity, components are readily available as is ammo and you won't get much cheaper shooting in an accurate .224 caliber centerfire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom