Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to do some more load work for my Remington SPS Tac.
Last Sunday it was a nice day so I went out to the farm for some shooting.
The .308 had been making groups around a 1/4" I'm still tweaking the gun and the load. I was hoping for some more improvement, but what I put on paper was sickening. A 2 inch group the first go round then it really got bad. I was all over the target. I gave the gun a good check up but it seemed fine. I had a buddy with me that is an excellent shot and I asked him to shot the rifle.
He put down two groups just under a 1/4 inch. WTH!! I tried it again it look like 5 flyers. He said do you feel alright I said yes but I'm a bit tired. He helped me zero my sons Ruger .308 and we tried some of my loads in it. It fired it's first 1/2 group ever. Then we played with some 110 gr Barnes X bullets with some BLC2 behind them. My Remmy parked them 4" high dead center in a nice little one hole 3 shot group. Not bad for a load I just picked out of the book.
Then we put up the guns had a couple of beers and went to the house.
I was really tired when I got home and a bit dizzy my wife checked my blood pressure it was way low. I quit take the my medicine and have been monitoring my BP all week it is normal. I've got an appointment with my doctor Monday maybe she'll take me off the meds completely.

Pat

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This.

1/4 MOA out of a $550 rifle is hard to believe. Not saying I don't, though...SPS tacs are nice. If it does shoot like that you got a real gem.

Shhh don't tell my rifle it thinks I spent a fortune on it.

Josh-L
I use dial calipers to measure extreme spread minus bullet diameter.

Pat

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BL(C)-2 is an excellent choice for .308.

Have seen many shooters spend an extraordinary amount of time/money searching for something "better" (newer, different, etc.) and eventually come back to it.

For my HTR (HS-Precision) I use 168gr bullets and BL(C)-2, or else use the Federal Match 168gr factory loads because they work VERY well.

Physical condition is an important part of good shooting. Even when working from the bench, eyesight, breath control, steady pulse, and hand-eye coordination make a difference. The ability to "switch-off" everything else to fully concentrate on the target is a skill that is seldom discussed.

Bottom line --- if you are not feeling well, or are pre-occupied with other matters, you may not have a good shooting day.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Will you share your load with us??

I don't make a habit of suggesting loads. These loads are not at max but all standard precautions should be used. Reduce powder charges by 10% and start from there.

Bullet Grains Powder Grains Case Primer COL

Nosler BT boattail 165 Varget 44.2 Fed Fed 210 2.806

This load was influenced in my rifle more by cartridge length than powder charge.

Bullet Grains Powder Grains Case Primer COL

Barnes X 110 BLC2 50 Fed Fed 210 2.725

This load was taken from Hodgdons web site.
http://data.hodgdon.com

Pat

Latest posts

Top Bottom