Problem with Mosin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Was just cleaning it, went to put the bolt back in when finished and it wont stay cocked, trigger suddenly feels lose....what did I break?

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take take your bolt carrier out out. Look at the top of the trigger inside were the bolt carrier goes. Now depress your trigger while looking at the top of the trigger, you should notice your trigger going forward and your sear going rearward towrds the but stock. If this does not happen then you might have a broken sear or you ma have removed it and just not reinstalled it. The sear also acts a a spring for the trigger and it is attached to the bottom of the action by a single screw. It is a simple fix. I knew a sight that had tons of spare parts but cant find it. You will have to do a mossin web serch

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Take take your bolt carrier out out. Look at the top of the trigger inside were the bolt carrier goes. Now depress your trigger while looking at the top of the trigger, you should notice your trigger going forward and your sear going rearward towrds the but stock. If this does not happen then you might have a broken sear or you ma have removed it and just not reinstalled it. The sear also acts a a spring for the trigger and it is attached to the bottom of the action by a single screw. It is a simple fix. I knew a sight that had tons of spare parts but cant find it. You will have to do a mossin web serch

I've got her disassembled and the Sear is still in place, it seems though that the sear isn't coming back into place when I try to close the bolt, do I need to do some bending or what, The way I understand it is you pull the trigger, and at that time the trigger pushes the sear down releasing the bolt, there should be no problem. so if my sear isn't coming up far enough do i need to just maybe bend it up a bit?

Scratch that I took the trigger assembly apart and my sear fell apart instantly........might have to find a buddy to weld er back together!! Broke right in half.

just joking about the welding part, I'm gonna just go machine 1 tomorrow morning, it's a really primitive mechanism.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like I called that one.
Do a mosin web search for a new one. It shouldnt run you to much. If you weld it, it may loose its temper and not hold like it is suppose to or just break again because it is so thin and brittle. These parts are frickin brittle and old. I would send you one if I had one for free but I dont. Just went through a box of spare parts for mosins from tapco that I got when they did surpluss some years ago and couldnt find one. Got tons of other parts but not one of those. Good luck on it if yu can get the weld to work!

Oh and next time when you put her back together make sure that you depress the trigger before you put the bolt carrier back in. When it is most of the the way forward then let go of the trigger.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks like I called that one.
Do a mosin web search for a new one. It shouldnt run you to much. If you weld it, it may loose its temper and not hold like it is suppose to or just break again because it is so thin and brittle. These parts are frickin brittle and old. I would send you one if I had one for free but I dont. Just went through a box of spare parts for mosins from tapco that I got when they did surpluss some years ago and couldnt find one. Got tons of other parts but not one of those. Good luck on it if yu can get the weld to work!

Oh and next time when you put her back together make sure that you depress the trigger before you put the bolt carrier back in. When it is most of the the way forward then let go of the trigger.

I was joking about the weld, I found a site where they are $12, I'm gonna check on machining a new one tomorrow, If that don't work out I'll just order one.

Thanks for all the advice though.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was joking about the weld, I found a site where they are $12, I'm gonna check on machining a new one tomorrow, If that don't work out I'll just order one.

Thanks for all the advice though.

If the part is available, order it! It is always cheaper to buy an existing part verses having a capable person make it for you. Skilled Labor = $$$$

Latest posts

Top Bottom