Tips for shooting revolvers with fixed sights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been trying to increase my accuracy with two revolvers with not much improvement. I don't really know where to put the blade of the front sight. Does it go under the bullseye, centered on the bullseye, etc? I don't know how to align the guns either. Like a shotgun where you keep the barrel flat and only see one bead as the front and rear sights blend together? I'm keeping a high grip but I feel like my pull against the DA is greatly effecting my accuracy. Shooting a model 36 and a H&R .22..

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Line the sights up as above. Shoot at a defined point on a paper target at say 15 yards. Put the top of the front blade (that all your focus is placed on) in the middle of that spot you want to shoot. Pull the trigger using nice even pressure straight to the rear until the gun goes off. Do this at least 5 times and then go and see where the holes are versus your aiming point. POA and POI will be different for different bullet weights etc. For a fixed sight pistol shoot the bullet weight that most closely matches your POA to the POI. Or just shoot whatever's cheapest and deal with the small discrepancy.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Make the top of the front sight even with the tops of the rear notch with equal light on either side. Focus on the front blade, let the rear notch and the target be fuzzy!

Work on trigger control in dry fire, like 100 dry fires per 1 live fire. You will improve

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Here, pulled this picture out of the Ruger Manual for a revolver. This gun has adjustable sights, but I've never heard that they should be aimed differently. As mentioned, focus on front sight, pull smoothly. While I wouldn't aim at the bottom of a target bullseye that big, the general idea is to put the point you're aiming right on top of the front sight. This changes at long or "point blank" range, but at typical pistol ranges it is accurate.

[Broken External Image]

kcollins

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your ammo is part of the issue.
130 grain ammo has never shot to point of aim in any of my fixed sighted revolvers. Almost all fixed sighted .38's are regulated to POA with 158 grain ammo going about 850 fps give or take.

Now you can ignore the difference in POA/POI and just use the sight picture everyone else has suggested and work on your groupings or you can switch loads.

I would suggest reloading it if you don't already and have any interest. .38 special is very easy to load. It uses very little powder( up to 2000+ rounds per pound) and the brass lasts a long time. Reloading will allow you what you really need to shoot a DA revolver well, lots of practice.

Some other factors are grips. I like grips that allow me to hold as high as possible and big enough to get a firm hold. After that it is just a matter of trigger squeeze. Dry fire is very helpful in that. With snapcaps, if your gun needs them.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
attempt to do the exact same thing... everytime.

try to duplicate how you hold the gun, how you stand, breathe, aim, etc, etc

Latest posts

Top Bottom