I want help buying a new pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.45 ACP. I'm not real worried about the price. That said, I can't give over $5000 either. 1911 style. I don't like hammerless, that being said, I won't rule out a Glock. Blue, stainless, what ever. I like big grips, I'm not adverse to a little recoil (I have a model 57 S&W 8 3/8 barrel I enjoy shooting). I do like Sig's night sights. With or with out laser.
Which is the best?
I have a Colt Government model and a Sig p220 Elite. I'm not interested in duplicates.
I am looking at compact & full size. Leaning towards compact because I don't have one.
I am open to opinions and suggestions, or just what ever pistol you think would be the best. I may even let one of you shoot it. :pms2::sorry4:

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh boy here comes the "1911 out of box" vs "1911 cutomized" vs glock thread. What have .45's have you already handled? What did you like and not like about them?

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh boy here comes the "1911 out of box" vs "1911 cutomized" vs glock thread. What have .45's have you already handled? What did you like and not like about them?

Pretty much just the two I own. The Colt MK IV Series 70 and the P220 Sig. What do I like about them? Pretty much everything that includes a bang. I like the sights on the Sig, but the Colt is about 35 years old, unmodified and has less than 100 rounds through it. My son has a Glock 30 (?) I'm sure he'll let me try it. But like I said, I am leaning towards a compact because I don't really have a compact pistol except a Beretta Mod. 84.
I have been eyeballing a Kimber Crimson Carry Ultra, but there won't be any shooting it unless I buy (I haven't asked, but it's the only one the guy has on the shelf, so I am assuming). Truth be known, once they go bang, I'm pretty much hooked.
If this is starting holy war.......................... o well. :)

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe Kimbers' are your best buy, I own a full size Gold Match and a 4" Pro Eclipse II. They both seem to perform flawlessly.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered Kahr? I've been using them for the first time this year. All 9mm. They are really starting to impress me. I'm beginning to look for a compact .45 and was leaning toward G30/36 because i'm very confident with glocks. But man, this whole Kahr experience is beginning to make me reconsider. I may go P45 or TP45. Might just wait to see if they'll put out an all steel K/T45.

Sorry, just noticed you said you like big grips. Don't think they come any bigger than Sig's.

ERIC FUSON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look carefully at the Beretta PX-4 series. It has different grip sizes for different people and is a traditional double action. This might fit the bill perfectly.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 4 Les Baer's one in 38 super and the other in a 45. By far the best weapons I have ever fired. Contact John at proload.com he has the best prices and best stock of LB. If you get to the city let me know and you can try them out, also you might check out randgfirearms.com Gary has some very sweeeet custom 1911's and a great guy to deal with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom