Henry Golden Boy worth extra price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a lever action .22LR. I've read good things about the Henry lever rifles, but am wondering if the Golden Boy (around $380) is worth the extra $130 compared to the normal Henry lever action ($250).

What, exactly, are the differences between the two (other than cosmetics and capacity, weight, length)?

Thanks for any input.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are keeping it forever or passing it down - whats another $130? It looks awesome. But hopeful someone with shooting knowledge of both can help us out

ai49.photobucket.com_albums_f284_kevinmichaeldick_henry_goldenboy.jpg

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are keeping it forever or passing it down - whats another $130? It looks awesome. But hopeful someone with shooting knowledge of both can help us out

Gotta give that a +1. But if you don't have any intentions of keeping it or passing it down, I say save the $130 and get the plinker model.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Gotta give that a +1. But if you don't have any intentions of keeping it or passing it down, I say save the $130 and get the plinker model.

Thanks for the replies!

I've done more reading and it seems the H001 (the $250 model) has some plastic parts on it, including the barrel band and front sight hood.

Then, there's the H001T, which is identical to the Golden Boy in almost every respect, but it's around $320.

I'm thinking the H001T is the way to go for me. I don't mind that it's a tad heavier and has one less round capacity. I prefer the look over the Golden Boy, but that might change when I handle them in-person, haha.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Henry earlier this year. I wanted one that would last and maybe be passed on some day. I went with the H001T which is called the Frontier model, I believe. Just like the Goldie, but without the brass, which I really didn't care for. You won't go wrong with the Henry, as it has a very smooth action.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why?

In a way, that's a rhetorical question. I know the 39A is pretty much the staple for .22LR levers, but I'm wondering why you're saying to go for it.

The Henry rifles just never did anything for me, and as to accuracy, the 39A with the iron sights or scoped is a tack driver. Even at 50yds the Marlin using just the iron sights will hold minute of squirrel head. Plus if you so desire you can load her up with .22shorts for less noise.

Unless your planning to invest in Brasso for the brass frame, eventually the frame will start to tarnish.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Henry earlier this year. I wanted one that would last and maybe be passed on some day. I went with the H001T which is called the Frontier model, I believe. Just like the Goldie, but without the brass, which I really didn't care for. You won't go wrong with the Henry, as it has a very smooth action.

That's exactly why I'd go with the Frontier. Don't care for the aesthetics on the Golden Boy. Before I made this thread, I didn't realize the Frontier existed.

The Henry rifles just never did anything for me, and as to accuracy, the 39A with the iron sights or scoped is a tack driver. Even at 50yds the Marlin using just the iron sights will hold minute of squirrel head. Plus if you so desire you can load her up with .22shorts for less noise.

Unless your planning to invest in Brasso for the brass frame, eventually the frame will start to tarnish.

Excellent, thanks for the response. No doubt I'd love the 39A. It's been on my buy list for a long while, but I can never find one locally for a fair price. I want to feel it. Last I looked, H&H had one but it was nearly $200 over the average going rate. I don't want it that bad.

I might look into ordering one online. I just have to read up/ask questions on FFL, especially how much a store charges for the service.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't know what they charge around your area, but here my LGS charges me 15.00 for the transfer. I have yet to scope mine even with my 50yr old eyes. Of course I only get to shoot it after my son has gotten bored with it and moved over to my Walther KKJ. Its more fun watching him shoot, than me shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom