2009 Archery kills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice doe bigcountryok!
attachment.php

Excellent work Imhntn!
[Broken External Image]

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I settled into an oak tree in my summit climber just after 4 o clock. Soon I was staring almost face to face with a squirrel. For about 2.5 hours I occupied myself by watching as many as 8 squirrels playing chase and eating acorns. At about 630, 6 hen turkeys came through pecking and clucking. Just about 7 o clock I could hear some blue jays and a couple squirrels giving the warning sounder. I strained to see through the fully leaved oak trees towards the sound. I could see a yearling doe approaching and a another was hesitant to close the distance. The yearling was as close as 12 feet as he investigated all the nuts the squirrels uncovered. Occasionally the yearling would raise her head to try and locate and predators. The first mature doe still wasn't sure everything was ok, but did come in with head raised and ears in alert mode. I drew my bow and held on until my shot presented itself. I was rewarded with a solid thump as my arrow hit its mark. Doe dressed out at 92 pounds and I harvested her with an Alpine Silverado, Maxima Hunter arrows with a 100 grain 3 bladed Rage broad head.
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_2009bowdoe1.jpg

deshijm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice deer bassin. Good backstraps for sure (does are definitely the best eating imho)!

Cool that you have trees where you are that allow you to use a climber. I'm in the central/SE part of the state and have literally zero trees straight enough (or without enough limbs) to make one feasible...mostly blackjacks with a few scattered oaks. There are plenty of tree stand thieves, however :nono2:.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad let the air out of a big, old doe this morning at a little after 9:00, on his first sit of the year. It was with 4-5 other does.

I've been covered up with deer on 3 of the 4 days I've been out so far, including this morning, but have yet to fill a tag. Most of them seem to have a sixth sense that makes them stray just out of range when I'm in a tree it seems.

This is the coolest weather, and the most deer movement I can remember for early October. I have seen more deer from stand in 4 days than I did from Oct. 1st thru muzzle loader last year. The only thing I can see changing is the weather being much cooler.

Congrats to you guys with meat on the ground, and nice buck deshijim! Hopefully I can drag something out of the woods here soon.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just came back in here to see my post isn't here. Not sure if I had an emergency call and caused me to get up and run and not post. (volunteer fireman)
Deshijim that is a nice buck. When I first heard about these climbing trees I thought yeah right not in this part of the state. What some people don't realize is, I still scout for deer sign and good trees for a stand. I have about 4 trees in about 60 acres of trees that I keep groomed for my climbing stand. I often find other trees that would require a little bit of trimming to allow use of a climbing stand. It allows me to purchase one stand that can be used in multiple areas and prevent theft.

Ridge Hunter nice story, we need a pic. I made my first kill this year out of my first stand site. I had hunted with a friend the previous day that I saw more hunters than deer.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pic of my Pop's doe from this morning per Bassin's request. (I cropped his head out because I am always bitching to my friends and family to quit posting my pics on the internet all the time without asking me. Can't let my hypocrisy get out! :D)

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_75153176_1.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]
There is a button that looks like a postage stamp that if you hover your mouse over it "insert image" pops up. Click it and put your link there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom