New semi auto with problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

01somta

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I bought a brand new Kel Tec P3AT (.380) a couple days ago and pickup some gold dot self defense ammo and some practice ammo. While loading it with the gold dot, I noticed that a FULL magazine is pretty hard to fully engage into the magazine well. I also had trouble getting the first round to chamber with the magazine completely full, the chambering problem decreases with each round in the magazine and eventually no problems with 3 round left in the magazine. I'm assuming that this is due to the spring being real stiff in the magazine and the problems will subside with time and breaking in. This is the first new semi auto that I have ever bought so I didn't know if this is common.

Thanks Dustin

hwhattt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have noticed the same thing with my kel tec p11. I have seen on some videos that kel tec says to shoot a few boxes of ammo through it to break it in. Hope it fixes my prob.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this brings up a question?Should you leave a mag loaded or not?[Broken External Image]

As long as you don't over-compress or over-extend a spring (that is made of spring-steel and not cheap crappy material), you can leave it loaded as long as you want without affecting the length / spring-tension of the spring.

Springs weaken by use (expanding / collapsing), not by being held under pressure for a long time.

MiKelly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well first off, as much as I LOVE okshooters, you should really use ktog for these questions. I had the same problem on a mag for my kel tec pf-9. it would only let me load 6 rounds instead of 7. the solution was to take out the spring and flip it around, problem solved, works great.

hwhattt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cleaned the crap out of my p-11 took it out it choked on every round. I thought to myself what is wrong with this thing. I took a few looks at what it was doing and thought about what all I had done to it. I bought a 15rd mag for it and ever since then it has been doing that. I am now back to using the mag that came with it. Problem Solved!

Latest posts

Top Bottom