Sighting Bow in!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
depends on arrow speed.

If I only had 2, Id run a 20 and a 40

But I have none, now...

Interesting, Ive never clocked my arrow speeds but my arrow starts to drop around 28-30 yards, so thats why I set my second at 35.

Im not competent enough yet to shoot outside 40 yards

I wonder where in Tulsa one can chronograph arrows? :anyone: ???

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 pins, I would do about what you did. 25 and 35 or so. I have 5 pins right now for hunting season....20,30,40,50,60. I know guys who shoot 3D often who have pins every 10 yards from 20 to 90 yards, AND YEAH THEY CAN SHOOT IT.

As far as arrow speed, numbers isn't that important but a faster bow will shoot flatter and will allow yardage in between pins to be further. A good thing to look at if you have set 2 pins with 10 yard spread and you are only a couple inches difference in impact you might be able to spread the pins for a 15 yard difference.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 5 pins. 0-25, 30, 35, 40, 45. I won't shoot at a deer over 30 yet, but I'm getting there and use my other pins for practice.

Its all a matter of personal preference and how flat your bow shoots. Mine starts dropping off about 28 yards.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, Ive never clocked my arrow speeds but my arrow starts to drop around 28-30 yards, so thats why I set my second at 35.

Im not competent enough yet to shoot outside 40 yards

I wonder where in Tulsa one can chronograph arrows? :anyone: ???

Your arrow starts to drop the instant it leaves the bow.
Just mother natures gravity thing:D

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is set at 20,30,40,50. I don't think there is any point in having pins set in 5 yard increments. I don't think I could get my pins close enough to do that if I tried. For me it's also a distance guessing game. It's a lot easier for me to guess 10 yards at a time than every 15 yards. Yes I do have a range finder but you don't always time to range when the deer come up!

Bottom line is "different strokes for different folks" !

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So should we say then that the variation in the point of impact at increased distances starts becoming greater after 28 yards. :tounge2:

The trajectory of any arrow (or bullet) is a parabola (square function).

At 20 yds, the arrow drop is 4 times that at 10 yds.
At 40 yds, the drop is 16 times that at 10 yds.

Shooting at long range (over 40 yds) is possible at know distances in field archery, but a slight error in distance estimate causes a miss, or worse yet, a bad hit on a deer.

The other problem is that a deer can hear the bowstring and move before the arrow arrives, causing bad hits. Although hitting a paper plate at a known 50yds is no great trick, I have never shot at a deer beyond 30 yards with a bow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom