Home Defense Gun For Beginner & His Wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a family member that I've been talking to for a while now about self-defense and home-defense... It comes up often as we go out to dinner frequently and they like to know if I'm carrying because he thinks it's cool and the wife isn't so sure... Until now! It looks like they're now interested in becoming armed in their home! So that's good news!

So, here's the question that has probably been asked millions of times over all around the world, but I honestly want my OSA peeps opinions on it.

Both have nearly zero experience with handguns so simplicity and reliability are key (not as if they aren't important for the rest of us).

So, the questions are Revolver or Semi? What caliber? Laser sight or not?

If anyone has experienced a similar situation. I'd like to know what you or the folks you knew ended up going with.

Thanks homies!

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For new gun owners I'd guess a good revolver would be best. Simple and easy to clean. I like the .357 but a .38 special would work just as well and probably be easier for the lady to shoot. A .357 can shoot .38 specials as well of course but that's one more caliber to keep around.

It's hard to beat a reliable shotgun though.

CK

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rem 870 HD 20ga might not be a bad choice with some 000 as far has home defense goes. Its what I've eased my wife into. She's still not real comfortable with handguns, but picks up the 870 HD 20ga with out any problems at all.

IMO as far as pistols go, you can't go wrong with a revolver. Basic simple and effective.

In the end, its going to come down to what they are comfortable shooting. Taking them out and letting them try different weapons under supervision and let them determine what they are comfortable with would probably be the best place to start. Good luck!

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definately agree on a shotgun, but as mentioned before make her shoot it first to make sure she can handle it, my fiance is a small girl and cant handle a 12 gauge even though she can fire a .40 and .357 sig just fine out of full size handguns...

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there small kids in the house? If so, a revolver or a break action shotgun might be a bad idea. When my kiddos were babies, having the revolver loaded in the drawer was OK. When they got older, I switched to an auto w/loaded mag, empty chamber. I figured their little hands weren't strong enough to chamber a round.

Now they've grown up around them, so it's not too much of a concern.

If there're no kids, go with the most simple weapon for them to operate effectively and practice, practice, practice.

This is what can happen if you're new to the home defense gig...http://wcbstv.com/topstories/man.shoots.fiancee.2.1243673.html

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Send them to School first, TDSA has a great intro to firearms for Ladies, and basic handgun class. Both prepare you to have a gun to use....

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandma has a couple of loaded revolvers and she doesnt know too much about guns besides point and shoot. They work just fine for her and she's pretty old. So I'd say go with a revolver, easy to keep in a drawer.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Madd it would be very hard to beat one of the Ruger 4" GP100 revolvers that are circulating around here. Start them out with .38 Special loads and when they have some experience they can stoke it with .357's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom