How long to store powder for reloading?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have gotten into reloading this past year and am having a blast. Learned a lot from here.

Now my quesion. Seems like you can save a bit of money by buying powder in quantity ie. 4lb 8lb etc. I don't use a huge amount of powder and was wondering once you open up say a 8lb bottle of your favorite powder, can you put some dessicant in with the powder and keep the moisture out? Just as an example 1lb of bullseye approx $22 4lb just over $70 and 8lb about $110(if memory serves me correct).

Can you store this for several years or am I better off just buying 1lb bottles and using it up rather than risking it "going bad"......?

Thanks for the info to this reloading newbie.....

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Store in original containers.
Don't put foreign material in with the powder.
Store in an environment that would be comfortable for you, and it will last for decades.
For more information, visit the SAAMI website.

infotechsailor

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hey All,
Can you store this for several years or am I better off just buying 1lb bottles and using it up rather than risking it "going bad"...
...?

I'm pretty new to reloading as well.. and been doing quite a bit of reading in some other forums. Some other recommendations I've heard are to keep the powder in an insulated cooler, and keep it in a closet inside, somewhere where the temperature won't be changing around a lot. Somebody correct me though if you disagree.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So long as it's temperature and humidity controlled (stored inside your house) it will last longer than it will take to use it up.

I'd recommend against storing it in anything other than the original opaque containers. Light can be just as bad for powder as excessive heat and moisture. When I'm going through a lot of powder, I don't empty the powder measure on my Dillon. But I do drop a Pringles can over it when I'm not pulling the handle.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kind of at a crossroads; I have about 8lbs or so of 2400 that I bought from a guy when I first started reloading in the late '80s. It's in ice cream tubs and was stored in a garage (read that hotter than hell in summer, and colder than hell in winter). Still goes "poof" when you put a match to it, and I haven't noticed any yellow dust or anything in it.....possibly still safe, or use it for fun, non-ammo related festivities? Getting ready to start reloading again after many years, and hate to waste that much powder.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kind of at a crossroads; I have about 8lbs or so of 2400 that I bought from a guy when I first started reloading in the late '80s. It's in ice cream tubs and was stored in a garage (read that hotter than hell in summer, and colder than hell in winter). Still goes "poof" when you put a match to it, and I haven't noticed any yellow dust or anything in it.....possibly still safe, or use it for fun, non-ammo related festivities? Getting ready to start reloading again after many years, and hate to waste that much powder.
I'd load up a box or two and see how they shoot. It's probably just fine. The guy that got me into reloading years ago had a can of 2400 that was who knows how old. Ancient metal can that would be a collectors item now. It smelled, looked and shot like brand new.

dolang1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two cans of IMR4227 that I bought in the early '70s. Price tag on the can is $4.98 . I load it in 38,44mag., and 45colt. It still goes bang. Later Don

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

thanks to all that replied. Looks like as long as you store powder in the house or some other temp controlled area, it should be good for a VERY LONG time. I think one mentioned NO dessicant packs with the powder. Kind of curious why that is not a good idea. At any rate, think I will get some 4 or 8 lb bottles of powder....

Latest posts

Top Bottom