Is it still cost effective to reload?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have never reloaded and am thinking of trying my hand at it. However, considering how much the cost of ammo has gone up, is reloading still a less expensive alternative? Has the cost of powder, primers etc. gone up as well? I also saw a thread where someone recommended a Lee setup for beginners. Is that the cheapest, safest way to learn? I would reload
9mm, .45 & .223.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and no. Ammo still comes out cheaper than buying it factory.

But you also have the time factor.

How much is your time worth? - Depending on the type of press, you could be looking at less than an hour for a box of ammo, or half a day.

You also have the repositioning of finances.

Still spending the same, just have more bullets or more guns. - What you save in ammo either goes into more ammo, or more guns.

My honest advice is to get into it as a hobby, not as a money saver. I think people who get into only to save money have 1 of 2 things happen. They either fall in love with reloading and it becomes a hobby, or they get burned out.

Not trying to discourage you, its a very rewarding activity, rewarding beyond the fiscal savings.

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and no. Ammo still comes out cheaper than buying it factory.

But you also have the time factor.

How much is your time worth? - Depending on the type of press, you could be looking at less than an hour for a box of ammo, or half a day.

You also have the repositioning of finances.

Still spending the same, just have more bullets or more guns. - What you save in ammo either goes into more ammo, or more guns.

My honest advice is to get into it as a hobby, not as a money saver. I think people who get into only to save money have 1 of 2 things happen. They either fall in love with reloading and it becomes a hobby, or they get burned out.

Not trying to discourage you, its a very rewarding activity, rewarding beyond the fiscal savings.

+1
he's right not money saved just more to shoot.............

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a real weird work schedule.....I work split shifts 8p-2a, 8a-1p usually so time is a factor. Thanks

That still shouldnt discourage you, that should just point you to what type of press you might want to look at. If you are just wanting some plink ammo, get a decent auto indexing progressive and go to town. Do some reloading while waiting for dinner to cook, or 30 minutes a day before bed.

What I mean by hobby is you really need to enjoy the process, not that it should consume every waking hour.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More so now than ever before IMHO. Of course, I am still using primers I bought a few years ago before they became impossible to find. Wish I had had the money to stalk up on powder and bullets like that too. :P

I have a Dillon for pistol calibers. We still reload rifle calibers on a Lee single stage press. Of course, we shoot a lot more 9mm and .45 than we do .223 or 30-06.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
With the brass I have on hand and the bullets I cat myself I crank out .45 ACP for less than a dime a round.
Not only am I able to produce ammo for far less than I can buy it thus being able to shoot tons more than I could if I had to buy it I enjoy the process of casting and reloading.

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is cost effective. I can load 1000 9mm for about $130.00
Price a case of 9mm... The bigger the caliber the more you save. I was just figuring .223 - $500 my cost would be $150.00
I have way more time than money, so it's worth it!
Dillon 550 here

That's if you already have the brass

Latest posts

Top Bottom